Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween?

3 o'clock wake up callKeep me safe, LORD, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from the violence, those who devise ways to trip my feet. – Psalm 140:4

Halloween has always been my mom’s least favorite holiday.  I used to think she was crazy.  Now that my children are no longer young and cute, joyfully running from house to house collecting candy, I’d be happy if we skipped Halloween all together.  In my protective mind, Halloween is a great excuse for teenagers to make messes and get in trouble.

Talking with several other mothers, I realize I’m not alone.  We were agreeing that it’s much better when Halloween falls on a weekday, so there’s less potential for trouble and curfews are conveniently earlier.  The conversation quickly turned to compare the costumes we wore growing up to what’s sold today.  I was bold enough to ask, “Does every girl costume have to be so “sexy?”” (Who thought of the “sexy M&M” costume?).  Laughter broke out then quickly dispersed to a heart-felt groan as we’re all concerned for our young daughters.

As I walked to my car, I prayed for our daughters’ safety.  Memories of last Halloween flooded my mind and I cringed.  A sweet, innocent girl had been badly hurt at a high school party.  Those scars will definitely resurface one year later.   Unfortunately, they’re permanent, but thankfully, so are God’s promises.  

In Psalm 140, David is crying out to God in despair and clinging to His timeless truths.

  • God promises to be our rescuer.  He can rescue us from our past regrets, shame, and horrible memories when we know we’re loved unconditionally.

  • God promises to be our protector.  He will always give us a way out of danger and destruction.  We can look to God to be our shelter during severe storms.

  • God promises to be our deliverer.  He will continue to work in our lives as we look to Him for our safety and security.  

Throughout our lives, people will devise plans to hurt us or steal our innocence.  But our God is more powerful.  He is our rescuer, protector, and deliverer.  He hears our prayers.  Believe that He is at work even in the darkness tonight.  

Join me in praying for our families, friends, and neighborhoods on this Halloween day.  

Lord, 
Keep our children and our communities safe.  
Shine your bright light even on a dark night.
Rescue, protect, and deliver those we love from evil and danger.
We will trust in your goodness, power, and unending love.
In Jesus’ Name we pray,
Amen


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!