Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Loved to Love


3 o'clock wake up call
Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us. – 1 John 4:11

Today, we are shifting our focus from loving God and ourselves, to loving others.  Some of you are relieved that we finally made it, and some of you are thinking, “Oh no, now I have to put everything I’ve learned into practice and love others the way God loves me.”  Yes, that is our challenge.  Over the next two weeks we are going to intentionally love others in practical and profound ways.    

If you grew up attending Summer Vacation Bible School, you might remember the song that went: “They will know we are Christians by our love, by our love.  Yes, they will know we are Christians by our love.”

When I learned that song as a child I thought, “How simple is that!  Loving people is easy.  Of course they’ll know I’m a Christian if all it takes is love.”  

When I hit middle school, though, I discovered that girls were often mean, teachers were sometimes unfair, and my dad rocked my world by moving our family across the country from Indiana to Massachusetts.  I found it extremely difficult to love mean people and strangers.  Away from the familiar places and faces, I don’t think anyone would have known I was a Christian if the outward sign was love.

Think for a moment, who are the people you find easy to love?  (pets are not included).  Now, think about the people who are difficult to love, be they in your neighborhood, in your family, or at your work (don’t say their names out loud). What makes them hard to love?  What feelings arise in your heart when you think of them?

Many people believe love is a feeling.  We either love someone or we don’t.  But God teaches us that love is actually a choice.  We can decide to love someone even when we don’t feel like it.  If God is our source of love, then His powerful love can flow through us to reach anyone.  

Jesus is our incredible example.  He loved the whole world: sinful women, despised tax collectors, evil rulers, the sick, diseased, and especially the lost.  Jesus died a sacrificial death to prove His love for us.  After He arose from the grave, He promised to send the Holy Spirit to all who would believe in His saving grace.  With the Holy Spirit living inside of you, Jesus’ love can move your heart and mind to love whoever God calls you to love.  You can choose to love!

You have the amazing privilege of giving love to others.  The more you share your love in simple ways; a friendly smile, an encouraging hug, a helping hand, or a kind word, you will discover love expanding its boundaries inside your heart.  Your capacity to love will grow.

Erwin McManus, from Mosaic Church in Los Angeles speaks such truth when He says, “Human beings have an unlimited capacity to love.  You are only limited by your willingness to love.”

Engage With God - Read and Reflect

DAY 19 – Loved to Love

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us. – 1 John 4:11

Daily Reminder:  
Erwin McManus, from Mosaic Church in Los Angeles speaks such truth when He says, “Human beings have an unlimited capacity to love.  You are only limited by your willingness to love.”  Who is God calling you to LOVE?

Real Life Reflection Questions

1. Write down the names of people you know God is leading you to love more profoundly over the next few weeks?



2. Make a list of how each person could know you love them.



QUICK PRAYER – 
Lord God,
God you know my heart.  You know who I find easy to love and who I can’t imagine showing love to right now.  Soften my heart and let me love others because your powerful love flows through me.  Help me to decide to love today and every day.  
In Jesus’ Precious Name I Pray, Amen


TODAY’S THOUGHTS – I Am Loved to Love Others!





Personal Bible Study- Read, record, and reflect on these scriptures. Let them seep into your soul.

Galatians 5:22 –23 (What is the first fruit of the Holy Spirit?)


1 John 2:9-10 -  




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!