Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Abide in Love

3 o'clock wake up callAs the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.  Now remain in my love. – John 15:9

I remember the first time I watched surfers riding waves in the ocean.  I thought, “That looks easy and super fun!”  Then I took my first surf lesson.  

While I paddled out into the waves on my board, the instructor shouted praise and compliments.  He believed I could do it.  (Surely I’d be a natural).  My mind raced, maybe I’d enter surf competitions one day soon.  (Oh, but then I’d have to wear a bikini… never mind.) As the instructor turned my board to point towards the shore, he yelled, “Get ready!  Here comes your first wave.  Remember what I taught you, now… GO!”

I could feel the power of wave pushing my surf board faster and faster.  I pushed up, popped both feet on the board and headed straight for the shore.  I was riding a wave!  I was surfing!  Laughing, I looked back to make sure my family was watching my quick success.  I was a natural born surfer!

As my eyes returned to the shoreline, I saw a coral reef directly in my pathway.  I couldn’t remember how to turn the board.  We never discussed how to stop.  I held my breath as I crashed right into the reef.  The sudden jolt sent me flying backwards, off my board, and smack dab in the center of the prickly coral reef.  As soon as I saw the blood, I was certain the shark in the movie Soul Surfer was there.  I rolled over and swam as quickly as I could to the beach; bloody and bruised, dragging my surf board by the leash attached to my left ankle.

Following Jesus reminds me a little bit of surfing.  In John 15:1-17, Jesus teaches us that He is the vine, God is the gardener, and we are the branches in a vineyard.  Jesus is using the vision of a garden to describe how we are to live our life of faith in Him: abiding, remaining, and bearing much fruit.  I can see a similar visual in surfing.  Go with me here...
  • Jesus calls us to “abide” in Him.  Abiding looks like staying with Him no matter what.  Like surfing, success is experienced when we stay on the board, feet planted in place.

  • Jesus says that if we remain in Him, His power will remain in us.  Like surfing, if we stand constantly on the surf board, then we’ll be powered forward by the wave.  We will be moved by a greater force.

  • Jesus wants our lives to “bear much fruit” by living a life that blesses others and glorifies God.  Fruitful lives are abundant, joyful, and full of love.  Like surfing, when we ride the waves, we not only enjoy the ride, but we show others how to live joyfully and abundantly.  

  • Lastly, I can speak from experience, when we lose our grip on the surf board, because our feet no longer remain in the right position, the waves send us flying, and much damage can be done.

So here’s our surfing lesson for the day: Stand firm in your faith, plant your feet on solid ground, and abide in Jesus.  When you do, abundant life and love will push you forward like a powerful wave. 

Engage With God - read and Reflect

DAY 25 – Abide in Love
As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.  Now remain in my love. – John 15:9

Daily Reminder:  
In the Bible, Jesus describes himself as the vine, God is the gardener, we are the branches.  When we abide/ stay close to Jesus, our lives will bear abundant fruit that glorifies God and fills our hearts with love and joy.

Real Life Reflection Questions:

1.  How can you stay close to Jesus throughout your day?


2.  Living in close relationship with Jesus will impact all your other relationships.  What “fruit” (love, peace, patience, joy, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control) do you desire to see blossom in your relationships?



QUICK PRAYER – 
Jesus,
You are amazing!  The ways you love me sometimes overwhelms my heart like a tidal wave.  Help me stay close to you all the days of my life.  I desire to produce Godly fruit – fruit that will last for eternity.  Help me love others powerfully and constantly.  Thank you for guiding me out into deep waters of love.  Living life abiding in you, is a great adventure!
In Your Powerful Name I Pray, Amen

TODAY’S THOUGHTS – Abiding in Jesus looks like ….





Personal Bible Study- Read, record, and reflect on these scriptures. Let them seep into your soul.

John 15:1-17 – (Read and Record Highlights)



1 John 3:18 - 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!