Monday, October 17, 2016

Love Remains

3 o'clock wake up callNow these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love. – 1 Corinthians 13:13

I would guess all of us have been to a wedding ceremony where 1 Corinthians 13 is read aloud.  See if this sounds familiar…

Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails. 
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

God’s words are beautiful, bold, and encouraging to a couple embarking on the closest relationship on earth.  I believed wholeheartedly in this kind of love as I took my marriage vows at age twenty-three.  

Thank goodness the love described in 1 Corinthians 13 isn’t the yardstick we actually use measure martial success.  If it was, my marriage, happy as it is, wouldn’t have made it past year seven like so many couples in America.  The love described here in the Bible is depicting God’s love for us.  Only God can love unselfishly every day for a lifetime.   

I’ll speak for me.  Let’s be real.  It is impossible for me to love my husband, my children, or my best friends with a love that is always patient, always kind, and never self-seeking.  I don’t trust all the time because I keep records of wrongs.  I now know teenagers dance around the truth while they’re handing you a police report or making an excuse for missing curfew.  Marriages are complicated, and loving each other faithfully takes work.  Friends get distracted with their own lives and they forget your birthday and cancel lunch dates. Let’s face it, relationships are messy.

I’ll go first and raise the white flag and say it: “I surrender!  I can’t love like the Bible tells me to love every day, all the time.”  There.  It feels good to be truthful. Now you go.  Ready, set, jump!

Thankfully, God is not done with my heart yet.  Nor is He done with yours.  Loving others the way God loves us is a life long journey.  The good news is, we can grow and expand our capacity to love like God as His Holy Spirit takes over more and more territory in our hearts.  The progress starts with a surrendered heart.

Here’s a quick prayer you can pray to let God’s love flow more powerfully through you.

Heavenly Father,
Your word is clear and concise.  You explain how I am to love others all the time.
I confess that loving others through heartache and disappointment is more difficult than I imagined.
Now I know for sure, I cannot love others the way you want me to in my own strength.
I invite Your Holy Spirit to move into my heart.  Take up permanent residence.
Call me deeper into love.  I will follow.  
In Jesus’ Powerful Name I Pray, Amen 

Engage With God - Read and Reflect

DAY 23 – Love Remains

Now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love.                      – 1 Corinthians 13:13

Daily Reminder:  
Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails (1 Cor. 13:4-8).  This is how God loves us and desires for us to love others.  Invite His Holy Spirit to move your heart into closer alignment with His today.

Real Life Reflection Questions

1. Look at the list of how God loves you above.  Which characteristic of God’s love are you most thankful for?  Which one needs to grow most powerfully in your life?  Explain.



2. Think of the person you are intentionally loving this week.  How can you love them with God’s amazing kind of love?  Write down some action plans.



QUICK PRAYER – 
Lord God,
I surrender my heart to you Jesus.  Let your Holy Spirit fill me with love that is patient, kind, truthful, protecting, trusting, hopeful, and perseverant.   Help me love like you love others.
In Your Precious Name I Pray, Amen

TODAY’S THOUGHTS – Love is … 





Personal Bible Study- Read, record, and reflect on these scriptures. Let them seep into your soul.

John 14:15-21 – (Read and Record Highlights)




1 Peter 2:17 – (Love the Sisterhood) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!