Thursday, October 27, 2016

It's Hip to Give Thanks

3 o'clock wake up callI will give thanks to the LORD because of His righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High. – Psalm 7:17

Sitting alone in a hipster coffee shop in Boulder, Colorado, I’m likely the only one referencing the Bible for insight on the decision I will make later tonight. In this town of legalized marijuana, thin women in yoga pants, and million dollar homes, you’d be hard pressed to find someone reading a Bible in one of its many coffee shops. 

Upon further observation, I realize I’m not the only one sitting alone.  Out of the roughly thirty people in this coffee shop, only two are engaged in conversation.  Laptops and cell phones are the most popular lunch-time companions here.  

Trying to pretend I’m getting something from my bag, I scan the room.  Despite the diversity of patrons, I see a lot of repetition and conformity; computer keys banging, earbuds stuffed in tight, empty coffee cups, and distant, stressed out faces.

Any joy that might have crept in off the street seems to have been extinguished.  The upbeat music can only partially obscure the sense of isolation and loneliness I am feeling in this room. Before getting up to leave, I’m struck by three questions:

  • Why are we living such isolated lives these days?
  • Why has technology taken the place of real live conversations between people?
  • Why are we more stressed out and anxious than ever before?

God must be looking down on all the crowded coffee shops and bustling businesses, patiently waiting for us to remember…. Remember what?  Remember Him. His constant presence, His powerful love, His incredible gifts, and His amazing plans for us.  How can we remember God in our busy and stressful lives?

As I ponder these questions, one word pops into my mind - thankfulness.

When we give thanks to God, He gets the credit for everything good in our lives.  Our hearts grow closer and we begin to walk out our days together.  When storms of life rock our worlds, a steadfast relationship with Jesus secures us.  He never changes.  His faithfulness, love, and righteousness remains steadfast in the face of our stress.  So I will give Him thanks at all times (1Thes. 5:18).


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!