Thursday, October 6, 2016

Beautiful Love

3 o'clock wake up callThe Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news, bind up the brokenhearted, proclaim freedom for the captive, release the prisoner from darkness, proclaim the LORD’s favor, comfort those who mourn, and bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes. – Isaiah 61: 1-3 (paraphrased)

In the passage above, Isaiah prophesied that Jesus, the Messiah, would arrive on earth to preach the good news, bind up the brokenhearted, free captives, release prisoners, proclaim the Lord’s favor, comfort those who mourn, and exchange beauty for ashes. 

When I was mourning the loss of my friend Alice, God met me in my deep sadness and comforted me.  As I lay in bed curled up, I imagined His loving arms wrapped around me holding me while I wept. 

I argued with God and told Him that His timing was all wrong.  Alice was only 57 years old, far too young with way too much love yet to be bestowed on her husband, family, and friends.  Selfishly, I had come to need her teaching, insight, and encouragement to move forward with this ministry.
 
During this difficult time, God gently nudged my heart to better understand that the time I had with Alice was a precious gift, that I should give thanks for our time together and know that her writing lessons would live on through me.  She had made me brave enough to take the first steps, now God would equip me and encourage me to keep pressing on.

In the Old Testament, if someone you loved died, you would put on a sackcloth; a simple, not comfortable garment and pour ashes on your head.  This was an outward expression of your inward pain. You would enter into a long time period set aside for grieving.  While you mourned your loss, life took on a different pace, with limited responsibilities.  Others would care for you and grieve with you.  There was endless time for God to met you in your despair and move your heart towards healing.

Today, in our fast paced culture, we have few outward signs of grieving, periods of mourning, and little time off to let God heal us.  Instead we busily plan the memorial service, attend the gatherings, and get back to work on Monday.  We smile as if we’re “doing ok” and get busy “doing life,” but all the while, grief is real, invasive, and wears down our already broken hearts. 

God’s love can bring beauty out of ashes.  Only God can make sense of our loss and heal us enough to one day help another person walking through similar pain.  It’s pure beauty when a sister or brother wraps a loving arm around a mourning friend and can honestly say, “I understand.”

Whenever sadness invades your heart, know God is always available to heal, help, and love you through the pain.  Give yourself the space and grace to overcome your grief.  There is no “right” amount of time for grieving.  Share your true emotions with God and a close companion.  Be honest, and don’t be surprised when one day you are the one walking someone else through their ashes, helping them to see the beauty up ahead.  Press on in love.  God will make you brave in time. 


Engage With God - Read and Reflect

DAY 16 – Beautiful Love

God will bestow on you a crown of beauty instead of ashes. – Isaiah 61:3

Daily Reminder: 
In this life, you will experience troubles and deep sadness, but be encouraged because Jesus has the power to bring beauty from the ashes.  Trust Him to do so.  Believe that He is able!

Real Life Reflection Questions:

1.    Think back to a time when your heart was broken by loss or disappointment.  How did you make it through this difficult time?



2.    Have you ever walked with someone else through their ashes and encouraged them to keep pressing on?  How did God meet you in that role?

3.    These are some of God’s great exchanges: Beauty for Ashes, Gladness for Mourning, Freedom for Captivity, Life for Death.  Which one are you most thankful for today?  Why so?


QUICK PRAYER –
Lord God,
Even when I walk through the shadows of darkness and despair, Your love is right besides me.  Thank you for always being available to help and heal my broken heart.  Teach me how to walk with others through their ashes so your people will spur each other on in faith and love.   Thank you for bringing beauty from ashes.
In Jesus’ Precious Name I Pray, Amen

TODAY’S THOUGHTS – God’s Beautiful Love is Yours!






Personal Bible Study- Read, record, and reflect on these scriptures. Let them seep into your soul.
Psalm 23:4 –

Isaiah 61:1-3 –

Luke 4:14-21 –


John 16:33 -


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!