Tuesday, October 25, 2016

If Walls Could Speak

3 o'clock wake up callThe LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though she may stumble, she will not fall, for the LORD upholds her with His hand. – Psalm 37:23-24

When I was in high school, Amy Grant was my favorite Christian singer.  She wrote a song called, If These Walls Could Speak.  Think back to when you were in high school. What would the walls have said about you and your family if they could have spoken in your house?

My walls would have reminded me that as a high school girl I complained about my weight a lot, wished I was taller, faster, smarter, and able to juggle a full schedule better.  I was often selfish, overwhelmed and moody.  When will I grow up and stop listening to that seventeen-year-old voice inside?

Thankfully I married the same boy I was dating in high school.  Twenty-two years into marriage he recognizes my teenage voice and snaps me out of it.  With one glance or a single word, He can redirect me from spiraling out of control.  He reminds me that he loves me and gives me encouragement to be confident and secure.  Crazy enough, he tells me I’m more beautiful now than I was when I didn’t have wrinkles or cellulite.  God must have put some miraculous veil over his eyes.

Unfortunately, my husband isn’t always there to stop my thoughts from spiraling downward.  But God is.  Lately, I’ve been sensing God’s loving approval too.  When I stumble, He is right there to steady my faith walk.  When I fall, and land in a heap of mess or sadness, He is quick to pick me up and get me back on my feet again.

That’s who God wants to be to you too.  When you stumble, lose your way, or doubt God’s presence or goodness, He will gently draw you close and guide your steps.  When you unintentionally make a mess out of your life or relationships, God promises to hold you up with His mighty hands.  


The walls in our homes cannot speak, but God can speak within them.  When you lose your way, open God’s word and rely on His promises.  When you feel overwhelmed, sit quietly with God and let Him soothe your scattered soul.  Delight yourself in the LORD and He will make your steps secure.  When we do, our voices within our homes will reflect God’s love and a deep trust in Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!