Sunday, October 23, 2016

Find Your Resting Place

Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28

Where do you like to rest?  Do you have favorite places in nature where you find rest or feel close to God?  When can you breathe deep and let the demands of this world fade into the distance?  When was the last time you truly rested and were rejuvenated?

We live in such a fast paced world that it’s not uncommon to feel guilty when we carve out time to rest.  What does your calendar look like during this season?  Are you packed, over-loaded, maxed out with no room to rest?  Are you balanced or ready to collapse?

Sitting with a group of mothers and grandmothers this week, we tried desperately to find a time on the calendar to come back together.  My eyes were quickly opened to the demands on their lives.  I was reminded what it feels like to have toddlers in tow, work pressures that cause anxiety, or family responsibilities that seem unending.  

Then one grandmother spoke up.  She said, “I’m almost always available.  If you are ever in a pinch and you need help with your kids or find yourself in an emergency, call me.  I will help you. I’ll drop what I’m doing, no problem.”  

A hush fell over our small group.  Breaking the stunned silence, I blurted out, “Wow, that’s amazing!  That’s your ministry! Ministry in the Availability!”  I’ve known this woman for more than eleven years.  Her schedule hasn’t always been open and available, but she was intentional in changing her lifestyle.  Knowing I have a friend who will drop whatever she’s doing to come to my side and help me when I’m in a bind brings much comfort and stability to my hectic heart.  I long to be a friend like that.  

I shared with God this morning how busyness blocks me from being totally present with the people in my life.  Daily distractions are deterring me from being the close friend I want to be.  I asked Him to help me simplify my days and focus on what’s truly important in life.

Reassurance washed over me when I remembered the Bible verse, “Come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest.”  I realized my closeness with others starts with my relationship with Jesus.  As I spend time with Him and rest in His presence, He reminds me how to prioritize my time, my relationships, my energies.  


Find a place to rest with Jesus and let Him remind you of what’s most important in your life.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!