Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Direction We Should Go

Come close to God and He will come close to you. 
– James 4:8

I set out on a hike from Chautauqua Park with my dog, Henry.  Six years ago we brought Henry home from Colorado Puppy Rescue.  He was found on a Native American reservation in New Mexico, then a tiny fluff-ball of blonde fur.  Now he’s my strong, faithful, hiking buddy.  Don’t tell the rest of the family but I’m Henry’s favorite, his best friend.  

Henry and I hiked the Gregory Canyon Trial.   The last time I’d hiked it, with Dan on my 40th birthday, I remember him explaining that this normally dry area swelled with mountain snowmelt in the springtime. Today, I didn’t see or hear any water, but I kept climbing in hopes that soon, maybe right around that next corner, I’d see a trickle of water flowing down.  

I was about to turn back and call it a good hike, when when my ears picked up what I thought was the faint sound of water off in the distance.  I decided to hike five more minutes to see.  With every step, the sound of water grew louder.  New energy surged into my body and I scampered faster and faster up the trail like a curious child.  

Turning a corner, I was rewarded with a beautiful waterfall, cascading down from the mountains above.  Continuous running water, quick and purposeful, crashing and splashing over smooth rocks.  I stood in awe and thanksgiving.  I wasn’t on vacation although I found myself in a spectacular spot far removed from my regular, daily routines.  I sat down on the side of the trail and talked to God.  

James 4:8 quickly came to mind: “Come close to God and He will come close to you.”  Why did I feel so close to God in this beautiful, secluded location?  With my eyes fixed on the waterfall, it made sense.  God, like the waterfall is always there even when I can’t hear Him, see Him, or feel His presence.  He doesn’t move.  I do.  While hiking and not giving up, I pursued the smallest sound of the waterfall.  As I drew closer and moved toward the sound of the water, I could hear more it clearly, confirming that I was headed in the right direction.  

God desires to direct our paths, but first we must come close to Him, hear His voice, and spend time in His presence.  Then, we’ll know the direction we are to go.  Imagine yourself sitting besides the beautiful, Colorado waterfall with God close.  What is He saying to you?  What loving words is He speaking over you?  What direction is He encouraging you to walk towards?  Give Him thanks for never moving or changing and draw close to Him today.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!