Monday, May 30, 2016

Tug of War With God

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 
– 1 Peter 5:7

In a crowded restaurant, I watched a mother guide her young autistic son to their table.  She walked hunched over, speaking words of comfort into his ear every step of the way. His confusion and frustration was obvious, but the mother remained calm as they walked.  Once in his seat, he looked around and smiled.  I smiled too, because I could relate.

So often, like that young boy, I become anxious when I don’t know what’s happening next.  I become impatient when I’m tired and know that rest is a long way off.  I’m easily frustrated when I find myself in an out-of-control situation.  Can you relate?

Spending most of this Memorial Day weekend at a soccer tournament with our youngest daughter, I’m reminded of this past winter when we traveled to Arizona for a tournament.  Out of necessity, and reluctantly, I left our two teenagers at home with their dad so they didn’t miss school.  My husband was working night shifts, so the teens were essentially home alone for the first time in their lives.  I kept waking up with my stomach in knots from worrying about their choices.  

Were they using their time wisely?  Was his girlfriend over at the house with too much unsupervised time?  Why was my daughter late to fourth period?  Would her dress be appropriate for the dance?  Would they eat what their dad made for dinner?  (Frozen chicken nuggets… again?)  

My mind wouldn’t relax, even at our beautiful poolside condo.  By the third day, I was exhausted, irritable, and ready to fly home.  I barely made it through dinner and fell asleep early.  When I woke up around 3am, strangely without the nausea of overwhelming worry, I sat up in bed and smiled.  I had been singing in my sleep, the lyrics “I will cast my cares on You.  I will cast my cares on You,” playing in my head.

Some people have asked me, somewhat anxiously, if the 3 o’clock Wake Up Call is at 3am.  It isn’t, but that morning God made an exception.  He was reminding me to cast my consuming concerns and wild worries on Him.  I thanked Him for the reminder and for watching over my teenagers.  I easily fell back to sleep, knowing God was in control.  

Sometimes I think we play tug-a-war with God.  We give Him our problems, but soon grab them back and try to solve them ourselves.  Back and forth we go, giving to God but taking back a short time later.  The good thing is that God is patient and continues to be in control, whether we acknowledge it or not.

Are you playing tug-a-war with God?  Do you need to trust Him more and hand over the worrisome pieces of your life for good?  Pray today and ask God to help you cast your cares on Him.  He will gladly take them and give you rest in exchange.  What a great deal!

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!