Thursday, May 19, 2016

Lean In

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  
– Proverbs 3:5

Have you ever been asked to participate in a “Trust Fall?” It’s where you turn your back toward your partner, close your eyes, then fall backwards into their arms.  Kids love to do this.  Adults are much more hesitant.  

Recently, I asked a friend if she would model a trust fall in front of our Bible study.   To my surprise, she trusted me completely and started falling back even before I said, “Go!”  I reached out my hand to stop her then steadied myself and caught her mid-fall.   We both laughed but truly I was more relieved than happy.  I couldn’t stop thinking, “What if I had dropped her?”

It dawned on me later that trust is a choice, one that we make many times a day.  Will we trust our neighbor to check on our house while we’re traveling?  Will we trust our teenager to come home on time, our spouse to keep his word, our friend to keep a secret?  When I plugged my cell phone into my computer today, I was asked, “Do you trust this computer?”  

Complete trust is leaning your whole weight upon that person or thing.  Total trust is also letting go, 100%.  Imagine yourself standing high up in a treehouse.  Now grab hold of the zip line handle.  Walk to the edge of the wooden floor, look down at the forest a hundred feet below then, lean forward and jump!  Once you commit, there’s no turning back.  Now you are flying through space trusting the zip line with your whole body.  

God wants us to have that crazy, adventurous kind of trust in Him.  He wants us to let go of our fears, hesitations, and anxieties and completely trust in His understanding of our lives.   

What does that kind of trust in God look like in real life?  Great question!  

It looks raising your granddaughter in your retirement years so her single mom can go to work.  It looks like moving across the country to a different climate to help your child deal with his extreme allergies.  It looks like confronting your boss who expects you to lie on expense reports.  In all of these real life scenarios, trusting God in the midst of challenging circumstances causes you to follow His leading, not our own.  You want to flee and quit but God says stay and love.  

How are you leaning on God’s understanding these days?  Give God thanks today for understanding completely the direction He is leading you in.  You can trust Him.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!