Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Comparing Ain't Kind

3 o'clock wake up call
As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 
– Colossians 3:12

In Colorado we have had the wackiest spring weather.   We’ll have two days that feel like summer, then get with snow.  I was at my wits end recently and headed to the gym to get some much needed exercise.

After my workout, I returned to the women’s locker room.  Boulder is ranked as one of the fittest cities in the United States but really, do you have to flaunt it ladies?  I immediately became self conscious comparing my flabby stomach to her flat one, my big ________ (fill in the blank) to her petite, cute, wrinkle-free one.  Ugh.  As I entered the shower, my mind raced with self loathing.  

While I was getting dressed, trying to be as modest as possible, a mother and daughter arrived.  The mother stand next to me obviously perturbed because there were no large lockers available.  I removed my things and offered her mine.  She didn’t respond, and just but turned her back.  This perturbed me… couldn’t she at least say thanks?

The mother took off her wool hat, and I gasped.  She removed her sweater and tears stung my eyes.  I grabbed my gym bag and raced for the car.  Sitting in the driver’s seat I cried out to God, “I’m so sorry I was complaining about my body.  I have a full head of hair.  Chemotherapy has left her bald, and surgery has left her with only one breast.  I’m so sorry.”

As I drove across town, I received a much needed Wake Up Call from God.  Yes, I would be thankful and not compare myself to other women.  Yes, I would give thanks and clothe myself with compassion for others not judgment and criticism.   

Sometimes God stops us in our tracks and wakes us up to what’s truly important in our lives.  Today, thank God for your strengths not your weaknesses and clothe yourself with what really matters.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!