Wednesday, April 27, 2016

That'll Leave A Mark

He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by his wounds we are healed. 
– Isaiah 53:5

In high school, I was frantically getting ready for a “hot date” I had that night. Singing aloud to Madonna on the tape deck, I was ironing my blouse and dancing around, dreaming about the night ahead.  All was humming along great … until the phone rang.

Just so you know, I had one of the coolest phones of the eighties.  Shaped like a circle, with a big hole in the center, its receiver could be snatched off the base just as it rang.  (Better to keep my parents unaware of the late night phone calls).  I was well-practiced at the quick answer, so when it rang that night, I reached for it reflexively.  Music blaring, lost in anticipation, I quickly brought the receiver to my ear, realizing too late that instead of answering my cool phone, I had answered the piping hot iron.

Screaming, I dropped the iron and ran straight to the bathroom to throw cold water on my face. When I looked in the mirror, I was horrified to see the bright red burn mark, throbbing and painful, streaked from hairline to chin.  So much for my “hot date.”

When I showed up at school on Monday morning, a group of boys walking past broke out laughing, “Ring, Ring, Laura you better answer it!”  How did everybody know? I’d only told a few friends. (I thought I’d learned the gossip lesson in middle school)

Today, I’m reminded of all the ways we receive scars from other people, from circumstances beyond our control, or from our poor choices or regret.  Do you know the One who took your shame and guilt was scarred for life?  His hands and feet were scarred for our transgressions.  Nothing you have done is too bad or too stupid for Jesus to wipe away and heal.  Isn’t that incredible?  Let’s thank God today for Jesus who can handle all our scars.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!