Tuesday, September 6, 2016

When Devoted, Expect Distractions

3 o'clock wake up callNow devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God. – 1 Chronicles 22:19

I’ve almost lost track of all of the distractions that have popped up when I’ve decided to commit to important projects.  This isn’t unusual, though.  We can expect distractions to invade our lives when we’re on an assignment from God.  The enemy loves to shift our focus from a divine task onto something entirely different.  Here are a few examples from my life over the past few years.

  • While preparing to run Compassion Camps for kids, several sprinkler heads burst in our basement flooding my daughter’s bedroom. (Insurance Nightmare)

  • While writing Sunday morning church curriculum to teach nearly 100 children about Jesus’ love, my son totaled our truck by rolling it several times off of a mountain road.  Thankfully, he wasn’t hurt, but the accident left a long paper trail of expensive damages. (Parenting Trauma)

  • While writing the first few chapters of the Wake Up Call from God book, my computer crashed.  The Genius Bar technician looked me straight in the eyes and said, “I cannot explain why the pages are gone, but I can’t get them back.” (The Enemy Steals)

  • On the first morning of a Bible Study I was leading, I discovered my car tire had been slashed. (More Financial Challenges)

  • On my way to a full day church staff retreat, an EMT called to inform me that while my son was biking to school, a car had hit him in the middle of a busy intersection. (Another Miracle and More Teenage Drama)

  • While working with my mentor and dear friend on publishing the Wake Up Call Bible Study, she lost her battle to cancer. (Emotional Devastation)

The enemy’s tactics are the same for all of us.  You can expect distractions while you’re devoted to doing God’s work here on earth, but they don’t have to stop you in your tracks,  and they certainly shouldn’t steal your faith.

While Nehemiah was rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem, his enemies tried to distract him, even plotted to kill him.  Completely committed, Nehemiah’s response was, “I am carrying on a great project and cannot come down.”

Let’s be like Nehemiah and devote ourselves first to God, then to the project He gives us to do.  When distractions crash into your life, don’t get derailed by them.  Instead, look up to God, thank Him for being right there with you, then keep carrying on.  Miracles often happen in the midst of distractions, so don’t give up.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!