Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Refuge of Love

Show me the wonders of your great love, You who save by Your right hand those who take refuge in You.  – Psalm 17:7

Would you feel safe standing on a mountain top? Do you find peace when you’re surrounded by grand mountains or walking along the ocean’s shore? Are you “at home” exploring a dense forest or driving through farmland with corn fields on both sides?  Where are you most comfortable in your own skin?  All of creation speaks to us about God’s eternal power and divine nature. (Romans 1:20) God uses the world’s beauty to capture our attention, and if we’re quiet, we might just hear His voice. 
God is constantly calling us to come closer to Him. (Revelations 22:17) He woos us with His love in many different ways.  You might feel closest to God during a worship service or on a service project.  God might reveal himself to you while you’re driving or while your kids are driving you crazy.  God is creative and He is persistent.
When my 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call started more than a decade ago, I was sound asleep to God.  I didn’t think about Him or see Him in creation.  I didn’t ask Him for help or acknowledge His good gifts.  I was a young mom doing life on her own; independent, self-reliant… and miserable. 
Once I became a mother, I was hit with a tidal wave of emotions. Every day I focused on making my children safe and happy.  I tried to make our home a fun and creative refuge for our children and kids in the neighborhood.  I took in another little boy while his mother worked part time.  I hosted play groups and kept Kosher snacks for our Orthodox Jewish next door neighbors. 
It was easier for me to take care of others than deal with the emotional issues I needed to face.  I could have never asked for help.  I was the helper.  I found my identity in being needed by others. 
God knew this all along and waited patiently until I needed His help.  It was available day and night.  I couldn’t see my need until I fell down the stairs head first. 
In desperation, with a head injury, I had to rely on others to help me and God to get involved in the details of my life (feed the baby, pay the bills, grocery shop, do the dishes…)  I invited God in and that changed my future.

Engage With God - Read and Reflect
DAY 4 – Refuge of Love
Show me the wonders of your great love, You who save by Your right hand those who take refuge in You.  – Psalm 17:7

Daily Reminder: 
All of creation shouts of God’s power and goodness.  The wonders of this world proclaim God’s great love for you.  Stand in awe and give God thanks and praise for He is your secure refuge.

Real Life Reflection Questions:

1.          Where in nature do you see God’s glory?


2.         How can God be your refuge, a safe and secure place away from difficulty and danger?


3.          What is one area of your life that you need to invite God into today?

QUICK PRAYER –
Lord God,
You are my strong tower, a refuge from difficulties and danger.  I invite you into these areas of my life… I will trust in your great love.  Be my secure foundation, the rock on which I stand today and every day of my life.  I will praise you for your incredible creation and your wonderful love.
In Jesus’ Name I Pray, Amen

RECORD TODAY’S THOUGHTS – I Am God’s Daughter!








Personal Bible Study- Read, record, and reflect on these scriptures. Let them seep into your soul.

Psalm 62:8 –


Proverbs 30:5 –



Zephaniah 3:17 -


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!