Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Drift Begins Within

It is crucial that we keep a firm grip on what we’ve heard so we don’t drift off. – Hebrews 2:1 

I was stand-up paddle boarding with my husband one afternoon on a beautiful mountain lake. Everything was perfect.  The water was refreshing, the wind light was cool against our backs, and there was no one else in sight. 

A few minutes after my 3o’clock alarm sounded, though, everything changed.   Cumulus clouds rolled in, thunder boomed in the distance, and the wind began forming white caps on water that had moments earlier been smooth.  We quickly turned our boards around and headed back to the safety of the shore.  As soon as I turned my board around, I was hit by the full force of a wind powerful enough to push me and my board backwards.  I dropped to my knees to reduce the wind’s push and began paddling furiously forward.

Have your circumstances ever changed so quickly and dramatically that you were sent reeling backwards?  Did you fight to change things, or did you find yourself drifting along in a different direction, later waking up to wonder, “What happened?”

As I fought the wind that day, I was reminded of what I’d heard Andy Stanley, the lead Pastor at North Point Church in Atlanta, Georgia say just a few weeks ago.

“The drift begins within.” 

Every day, all of us are either drifting closer to God or farther away.  As we move closer to God, many days feel like we’re paddling against the current of our culture.  Take heart, it is worth the effort and the strength it takes to move closer to God, because the closer you are the more joy, peace, and hope you’ll experience, even in a storm.  

As the Bible says in Hebrews 2, “It is crucial that we keep a firm grip on what we have heard so we don’t drift off.”   We all need reminders to keep paddling and stay on course towards God.  

Your 3 o’clock alarm can prompt you to remember that when everything around you is causing you to drift away from your faith, grip God’s hand, fall to your knees and decide to paddle toward Him today. 

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!