Thursday, August 11, 2016

Take a Hike With God

3 o'clock wake up call“As your love in wave after wave crashes over me, crashes over me.  For you are for us.  You are not against us.  Champion of heaven you made a way for all to enter into your love.” 
–  Bethel Music. “You Make Me Brave” 

During the weeks leading up to August 11th of last year, I cried out to God every day asking Him to cure my dear friend and mentor Alice’s cancer.  It was the first time I’ve ever had to plead for a friend’s life.  I believed with all my heart that God could heal Alice.  He had the power to wipe away the invasive tumor.  Once God performed His healing miracle, I was sure Alice would write about it and tell the whole world.  I knew without a doubt that her short stories would encourage other cancer patients to be brave, cling to God, love abundantly, and give thanks, no matter what. 

Instead of answering my prayers and giving Alice a miraculous story to write about, God took her home to heaven.  My pleas for healing changed to shouts of anger. I told God His timing was all wrong because Alice had so much work still left to do on this earth.  I mourned the loss of my mentor who inspired me to step out into the deep waters of ministry and be brave in sharing the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call with others.  She was my source of bravery.  What was I supposed to do now?

Have you ever argued with God?  Have you ever told Him you knew better, that His timing was all off, or that He wrecked your beautiful plans? From experience, I can tell you that arguing with God gets you nowhere except more frustrated and disappointed.

After months of sadness and refusing to move forward, it was Alice’s husband who invited me to a grief meeting.  After we shared how we were doing, he said, “Laura, you’re really angry with God.  You will need to forgive Him to move on.”  At first I wanted to punch him, because the truth hurts.  Then, like an earthquake cracking hard-packed ground, something shifted inside of me.

I know it might sound weird but soon after, I scheduled a hike to talk with God and deal with my anger.  Because I was alone in the wilderness, I talked aloud to God and told him how mad I was about losing Alice.  I spoke candidly, “God what were you thinking?”  On and on I told God how so many of us relied on Alice and had so much more to learn from her. 

When I finally shut up, I knew that God had been listening because I felt overwhelmed by His presence.  I sat on the side of the trail and sobbed.  In the quietness of my soul, I heard, “Alice made you brave for a time. Now rely on me and I will guide you.  I will make you brave.”  

God’s closeness and His reassuring voice, prompted me to speak the words that I should have been spoken months prior.  “God, I am sorry.  I’ve been so angry with you that I forgot you are my source of strength, not Alice, not any one else, only You.”  As the words escaped my mouth, a wave of love flooded my heart.  Wave after wave, God’s love was washing over my sorrow, pain, heartache, and disappointment.  He was healing my broken heart with His love.  

God’s love is waiting to crash over you too.  He promises to be close when you’re broken- hearted. (Psalms 34:18) God has the power to heal you when the pain is paralyzing, and He can restore you after ruin.  

Will you shout to the Lord and tell Him how you feel?  No matter the circumstances you face, God is always there for you.  No one else but God can make you brave enough to keep moving though any hardship towards the great plans He has for you. 


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!