Friday, August 19, 2016

An Anchor For Your Soul

We have this HOPE as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. – Hebrews 6:9 

With schools opening, fall sports starting, dear friends heading off to college, and nighttime temperatures dropping, I find myself asking, as I do every year, “where did the summer go?”

What summer memories did you make in 2016:  toes in the sand, fish on the line, hikes in the mountains, fireflies on the porch?  I hope you had so much fun!

My favorite summer memory was our family trip to Lake Powell.  We jumped off cliffs (I’m terrified of heights), swam all day, tubed behind the boat, ate late dinners, then flopped into bed exhausted.  One of the best parts was watching our eighteen-year-old son confidently drive the speedboat, laughing out loud when his quick turns sent his sisters twisting and tumbling off the tube, skidding across the water’s surface.  As I watched his silly laughter, I saw happiness that had been absent for too long. It seems like just yesterday that this handsome young man was my little boy.

In the past two and a half years, I must have prayed ten thousand prayers for him.  I’ve read everything I can get my hands on to try and better understand what growing up in our culture today feels like for our adolescents.  (I’m still perplexed, and glad my time was simpler).  With God as my anchor, my love for my son has never wavered and I have never let go of him as he twisted and tumbled through his teenage years. 

Even though my son is not heading to college with his friends and is on a different path than I might have chosen for him, I have an anchor of incredible hope that God is guiding his life in the direction He has chosen.  I have learned to trust God because my son is His child too.  

Our complicated lives can make us feel like small ships being tossed about in a sea of forces beyond our control.  In those times, our faith in God keeps us steady and secure.  He never gets tired of hearing about our hurts and hardships, and His strength is greater than anything we face.  So when in the storms of chaos, look up, thank God and reach for His steadfast presence, for He is the anchor of your soul.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!