Friday, August 26, 2016

A Good Thing

Keep in mind always that the ultimate one is Christ. 
– Colossians 3:24 (MSG)

Scott Nickel, one of the lead pastors at Flatirons Community Church in nearby Lafayette, Colorado, has coined the phrase “When a good thing becomes an ultimate thing, ultimately that good thing becomes a destructive thing.”  Let that sink in for a minute.  I find it to be incredibly profound and have, unfortunately, learned that truth the hard way more than once.   

Stop for a second and think about what is most important to you.  What or who would top your list: a spouse, children, career, traveling, working out?  Our lists vary but our hearts are similar.  It hit me last weekend while I was worrying about my husband finishing a long race that he used to be my ultimate thing.

When we first got married, my husband was my absolute number one priority.  We did everything together; dreamed, planned, played, traveled, and started a family together.  I ached when we were apart.  I clung to him when he was close.  I placed him higher than anyone or anything else, even God.  

When I made my husband, a good thing in my life, into my ultimate thing, he couldn’t live up to my expectations.  He wasn’t always in a good mood, or constantly kind, and he found my occasional roller coaster of mood swings confusing at times.  He wasn’t perfect.  It took me a while to realize that my husband could never be my God.  

If you have placed something or someone higher than God, it’s just a matter of time before you realize that they will always fall short of fully satisfying you.  No one and nothing can fill the “God space” in your heart.  When we make Jesus our ultimate someone, everyone else will then be in their right place.  And that is a good thing!

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!