Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Listen Up

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.  
– James 1:19

I am guilty of talking more than I listen.  When my husband hears me say that, he lets out a huge AMEN!  I have been interrupting that man for more than thirty years.  (We met in high school)

We’re making our way through the book of James, the How To Live Out Your Faith in Jesus book of the Bible.  Its truths are sometimes tough to read, like a punch in the gut.  In today’s passage, for example, James flatly counsels us to “be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”  This passage in Message Version of the Bible reads, “Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear.”  That’s a pretty clear visual of God’s priorities.

Have you ever met someone who talks incessantly about himself or herself?  How they run this, have accomplished that, or their child is the best at…?  These uneasy interactions are less of a conversation than a downloading of information. No need for your input.  How much time do you desire to spend in their presence?  Truth be told, I’ve actually picked up my chair at a soccer game and moved 30 feet down the sideline to escape them.

I’m afraid to admit, though, that I’ve been guilty of doing that very same thing, especially with my husband or children.  I get tunnel vision and process my thoughts aloud, later wondering at what point they stopped listening.

On the flip side is my husband’s friend, Jeff, one of the best listeners I’ve ever met.  He makes continuous eye contact, leans into the conversation, and gives you his full attention. He asks in-depth, personal questions that lead you to thoughtful, heartfelt answers.  After talking with Jeff, you feel like you are the most important person in his world.

I bet Jesus listened with this intensity.  

Just think of how many arguments could be avoided if we followed James’ directive.  Think of how many families could be radically changed if we listened more.  Think about how many jobs have been lost, relationships ended, or children hurt because we snapped and let angry words tumble off our tongues.  James is giving us a Wake Up Call to listen more.  

Let’s give it a try.  This week, even if you have to use a stopwatch, make the decision that you will listen more than you talk in a conversation.  

Now listen up.  You can do it!

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!