Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Heavenly Wisdom

3 o'clock wake up callThe wisdom that comes from heaven is…. 
- James 3:17

How would you finish the passage above?  I don’t know about you, but I could really use heavenly wisdom as I make future plans, juggle financial decisions, and parent my teens.  Where do you need more wisdom in your life?  What does heavenly wisdom even look like?

As Jesus’ half brother, James grew up observing God’s son perfectly maneuver difficult relationships, make hard decisions, and “grow in wisdom and stature.” (Luke 2:52).  (Imagine James’ frustration when asked “why can’t you be more like your brother?”)

Maybe that’s why James is able to make it so clear what heavenly wisdom looks like.  He teaches us that it comes out of a humble heart with pure motives.  It is peace-loving, considerate, merciful and sincere.  Heavenly wisdom does not stem from pride, bitterness, selfishness or envy. 

Ouch!  That’s a “Wake Up Call” to the heart. When I think back to my earlier years, I cringe at my own lack of wisdom.  Can you relate to this timetable?  

In my ….
  • Teens – I knew everything.  
  • 20’s – I knew how to make the world a better place.
  • 30’s – I knew how to manage the world’s increasing demands on my own.
  • 40’s – I’m clueless, help me God!

I used to think age had nothing to do with wisdom.  Now I recognize and humbly apologize for the times I steam-rolled others when I thought I knew best, for the times I acted out of pride, bitterness, envy, or selfish motives.  Life has a way of humbling us doesn’t it?

If you’re older than me, and can add decades on to the list above, how would you describe each one? (I’d love to hear from you).  Would your current decade, like mine, contain an admission of “cluelessness” and surrender?  Maybe that’s the first step towards “heavenly wisdom.”

Dear God,
Forgive me for thinking I was wise when I was really foolish and prideful.
Help me to follow your heart that is humble, pure, peace-loving, considerate, merciful, and sincere.  Pour yourself into my heart and delete the darkness that you see in mine.  I desire to grow in heavenly wisdom.  
In Jesus Name I Pray,
Amen  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!