Tuesday, June 28, 2016

What's The Wise Thing To Do?

3 o'clock wake up callIf any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5

When I received a birthday invitation from my dear friend who was turning 65, I eagerly replied, “I wouldn’t miss your celebration for anything!”  We met in a Bible study seven or eight years ago and became fast friends.  She’s “been there, done that,” and is one of several women I meet with regularly, whose experiences and insights I’ve come to rely on as guideposts for my life.  I call them my “Wise Ones”. 

Think for a minute, who do you look up to?  Whose wisdom, experiences, and honest feedback can you rely on when you’re faced with tough decisions? 

I am so thankful for my dear grandmother who lifted me onto her lap and read the same books over and over to me when I was a child.  She was wise to share her love of reading and incredible patience with the next generation.  I am also thankful for my Papa who was wise to share his love of Jesus with me when my heart was young and impressionable.  Who are you thankful for?  Whose wisdom has shaped your personality or outlook on life?   

One of my favorite pastors is Andy Stanley.  In one of his sermon series he challenges us to “Ask yourself, what’s the wise thing to do?”  I’ve found myself repeating this profound question to myself and my children.  When you want to “buy that right now,” or lash out in anger, stop and ask God, “Is this the wise thing to do?” He promises to give us wisdom if we ask.

I’m guilty of consulting my “Wise Ones” or other friends before I ask God when I have a quick decision to make.  How about you?  Just recently I’ve started putting down the phone and praying first.  Going to God and asking Him first causes me to pause, think, listen, and let time go by.  I’m finding that this pause is good, because clarity usually comes with time.  Living with God’s timing also brings more peace.  

I invite you to do three things today.
  • Thank God for the “Wise Ones” in your life.
  • Thank God for His wisdom.
  • Ask God to prompt you to ask, “What’s the wise thing to do?”  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!