Monday, November 21, 2016

Trials on the Trail

3 o'clock wake up callFight the good fight of faith.
 – 1 Timothy 6:12

As I shared with you yesterday, I’m chaperoning my daughter’s soccer team this weekend.  It’s sunny and warm in Phoenix, but this is no vacation.  I’m in charge of fifteen middle school girls.  Several times a day I feed them, water them, remind them to wear the right uniform and hound (? encourage) them to clean up, be on time, and play strong. 

I finally got a break today while they were warming up before a game.  I decided to take a quick jog to burn off some of the calories we’ve been consuming.  Within minutes, I discovered a sandy trail leading away from the soccer complex into the desert.  

At the entrance, I noticed a thick silver chain lying on the ground with two big orange cones kicked to the side.  Maybe the trail was once off limits, but not today.  I took off down the sandy strip and was soon mesmerized by the fascinating landscape.  A lizard scurried off to the right, prickly cactus grew in clumps, and dry scrub brush stretched as far as the eye could see.

I plodded along enjoying the sunshine and dry eighty-degree air until, I heard a rattle.  Not a cricket, not a bird, but the unmistakable rattle of a snake’s tail.  My first response was to jump straight up as if it was under my feet.  Thankfully, it wasn’t.  My head whipped from side to side trying to locate it.  I couldn’t, so my normal turtle-slow pace quickly accelerated to a jack rabbit sprint and I high-tailed it back to the concrete.

Out of breath and sweating profusely, I thanked God that I was safe. I imagined what it must feel like to be bitten by a rattle snake.  Terrified, yet relieved to be safe, I scanned the scenery to see how far I was from the soccer fields.  That’s when I saw the sign: 

DANGER
Native Habitat
Entry Restricted

It occurred to me then that my encounter was a reflection of how most of us live day to day.  We’re out exploring the world, jogging along in life, yet the enemy is always present.  We mighty not see him but he sees us.  He plans traps, temptations, and trials.  As the Bible explains, “Satan roams throughout the earth, going back and forth on it” (Job 1:7). The enemy is always there ready to strike. Wake up! Don’t give him a chance.

We must decide every day that we are going to fight the good fight of faith and stand up to the enemy’s schemes.  Sometimes it is good to flee, but the most effective strategy is to stand on God’s truth (Eph. 6:14).

This Thanksgiving season, remember that the enemy prowls around you looking to take you out (1 Peter 5:8). He will use your busyness to get you off balance or bite you.  But you can stand strong in your faith, knowing that God is bigger than your enemy and He has greater plans for you; plans to prosper you and give you a hope and good future (Jer. 29:11).  

Fight the good fight of faith!  And remember you are on the winning team.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!