Saturday, November 5, 2016

Desperate Prayers

O Lord, hear!  O Lord, forgive!  O Lord, listen and take action!  Do not delay, for Your own sake, O my God, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name. – Daniel 9:19

Daniel prayed this prayer when he knew God’s people were undeserving of His loving mercy.  Daniel pleaded with God on their behalf, believing His goodness could deliver them.

Can you relate to this prayer as the Presidential Election is only three days away?  I can.  My prayers have sounded very similar to Daniel’s lately.

For the past several weeks, when my 3pm alarm sounds, I’ve been asking God to help for our nation.  I’ve been pleading for national forgiveness and healing, all the while secretly hoping that He isn’t listening to all the political rhetoric, backstabbing, and hatred in the news and social media. 

In these days leading up to the election, are you proud of our nation?  Are you confident in the directions we’re headed? Or like me, are you embarrassed and praying desperately for restoration?

This is the first election in which my nineteen-year-old son can vote.  It’s hard to explain how abnormal things have become.  Every time I try, I come to the same conclusion: America needs prayer!

I find it ironic that during the weeks leading up to the 2016 Election, my middle school daughter is transfixed by the Broadway Musical, Hamilton.  She listens to its 46 songs every waking moment, which means that they are also rattling through my mind, day and night.  I awoke the other night at 2 am singing, “I toast to the groom!”  

Hamilton, takes place in New York City when our founding fathers were writing the Declaration of Independence, creating a national bank, and establishing the code of conduct for our Congress.  The songs depict brave men fighting for freedom, loving our land of opportunity, and establishing a legacy that would certainly outlive their lives.

While driving home last night with my daughter belting out Hamilton lyrics, she stopped all of a sudden, turned to me and asked, “Mom, are you crying?”  

I was desperately longing for that nation in the musical to rise again.  The America they sang about knew who they were, what they were willing to fight for, where they stood with God.  I silently prayed “O Lord, who are we now?  What happened to being One Nation under God? Be at work in this election.  Shine your bright light in the darkness of our land.  Only You God can bring good out of all this bad.”

Then I was sweetly reminded that no matter who wins seats on Election Day, Jesus will still be seated on His throne and God will still be in control.  For that, I will be thankful and toast to my heavenly groom.  

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!