Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Awe & Wonder

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. – Psalm 9:1

A few days ago, I shared how Mary the mother of Jesus treasured “God moments” in her heart. She pondered the miraculous signs the shepherd shared of how a heavenly host of angels pronounced the birth of her son, the Messiah. She stood in awe and wonder when the religious leaders in Jerusalem found Jesus brilliant beyond his years. How wonderful it must have been for Mary to witness Jesus growing in wisdom and knowledge right under her roof. 

I think God wants us to have our own awe and wonder stories. They are to point directly to Him and tell of His wonderful deeds. Lean in as I share one awesome God moment I experienced just recently.

What a week! After a crazy busy, out of control, chaotic pre-Christmas week, I dropped my husband off for a work trip on Sunday morning. As I drove alone to church, I honestly didn’t feel like going. Everyone else in my family was either sick, working, or had already attended a different service. As I turned onto the road leading to the church, loneliness welling up in my heart. I made one simple request to God, “Please give me one friend to sit with.”

As I entered the building, I immediately spied a dear friend from Bible Study. Our eyes locked, we hugged, and I humbly asked if I could sit with her and her husband. She smiled and nodded. We grabbed coffee and headed into the sanctuary to find him. He had chosen center seats up close to the front, a spot I’ve never sat in before. When we stood to sing the first worship song, I recognized another woman sitting diagonally in front of me. As I did, the rest of her family filed into the empty seats beside her. 

Their presence took my breath away. Out of more than 500 seats in the sanctuary, Jane’s precious family was an arm’s length away from me. These were the loving people I’d walked with during the last days of Jane’s life last spring. We were not only close in proximity, we were close at heart. Three of them were from out of state and all of them were visiting today. Why today?

Then it hit me. I’d asked God for one friend to sit with. He’d given me an entire family even larger than my own. I was reminded of Ephesians 3:20-21. 

Now to Him is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

All I could squeak out during the second worship song was, “Thank you God!”

After the service we all hugged and I heard how hard Thanksgiving had been without sweet Jane. Who would make the gravy? Tears welled up, but the laughter still came. God was certainly in this place, knitting our hearts together, Catholics and Protestants connected by our love for Jane and Jesus. I bet both Jane and God were rejoicing in heaven. 

When I got back in my car after church, loneliness was gone. All that remained were awe and wonder. I promised to give thanks and tell of God’s wonderful deeds. 

May we never lose our wonder. 
Wide eyed and mystified.
May we be just like a child.
Staring at the beauty of our King.
  • Lyrics from the song Wonder, Bethel Music

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!