Friday, December 1, 2017

A Different Answer

3 o'clock wake up call
Be careful how you live.  Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.  Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days…and give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. – Ephesians 5:15, 20

How do you usually respond when someone asks you how you’re doing?  I tend to answer with “I’m fine.  How are you?”  The other day when I gave this response to the cashier who had asked, she didn’t answer me in return.  She had just been making small talk and really didn’t care how I was doing.  It was easier for her to ignore my question then answer me honestly.

This interaction, or lack thereof, got me thinking about the small talk we make everyday with people who don’t know us well but see us often.  Who are the people you bump into often; at the grocery, coffee shop, gym, post office, library, school or at church?   

What if the next time one of them asks you how you are, you answered their question by saying, “I’m thankful!”  Wouldn’t that prompt them to ask the next question, “WHY?”
The Bible tells us to always be ready to give the reason for our hope.  (1 Peter 3:15)

Think for a moment about the act of thanksgiving alive and active in your life.  Answer these quick Powerful “W” questions:

  • Who are you thankful for?
  • What is one gift you’re thankful for?
  • When was the last time you said “Thank you!”
  • Where have you experienced great gratitude expressed lately?
  • Why do you think God desires for us to give thanks for everything?

I’ll share my answers through a story:  

I’m thankful for Tammy, my favorite grocery store employee.  Every time Tammy sees me shopping, she comes over and gives me a big hug.  I guess a long time ago she decided that she could be herself with me because I saw past her disability and genuinely cared about her.  Recently, she was used by God to answer one of my prayers.  
A week earlier, I had been calling around looking for a place to serve on Thanksgiving Day since our family had postponed our celebrations to Saturday.  Every center and church I called said “No thanks.  We have enough help.”  But the day before Thanksgiving, there was Tammy in the produce aisle hugging me and excitedly talking about tomorrow’s “feast.”  A local restaurant was holding its yearly dinner for children with disabilities and their families.

I thanked Tammy for what I call a “God wink,” then drove across town to the restaurant hosting the event.  At the hostess’ station, I asked the manager if I could volunteer the next day.  He almost hugged me like Tammy does, and said “Yes, we need more hands to help!”  

What an incredible experience!  When the families with special needs children asked me, their waitress, how I was doing on Thanksgiving Day, I answered them truthfully by saying “I’m so thankful!”  Those three words seemed to give people permission to respond in kind.  It’s as if one “Thank You” unleashed a multitude, reminding me that that is exactly how God desires for all of us to live every day.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!