Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

3 o'clock wake up call
I will give thanks to the LORD because of His righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High. – Psalm 7:17

Are you ready for Thanksgiving? What favorite dishes will arrive at your table this year? Couldn’t some of these dishes tell a special family story?

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to remember our family history and keep it alive by sharing stories with the next generation. This is also a great time of year to thank God for people in our lives who have loved us deeply and left wonderful, lasting marks upon our lives.

My three kids would be appalled if my Mama’s strawberry pretzel Jell-O salad was not on the Thanksgiving table. Why it’s called a salad is beyond me. It must be a Midwest dish because Mama grew up in Indiana like all my extended family. I’ve been making Mama’s recipe for over twenty-five years now. It’s a tradition that will definitely be passed down through generations.

Without a doubt, eating Pretzel Jell-O has opened the door for me to share so many of my childhood stories with my kids. Road trips to the cabin in North Carolina, swimming pool stunts with Mama, card game tournaments on the card table, and visits to the farm to see Papa’s horse and make homemade ice cream. These fond stories have far outlived my grandparents. 

Sharing these fun stories led me also to share how Papa was the one who introduced me to Jesus. Holding my little hand in his big hand, Papa walked me into a country church where I attended Sunday School. It was in this church that I learned that Jesus loved me and church friends can feel like family. 

I remember it like yesterday, we’d gather all together in the church basement for lunch. I can still see all the casseroles lined up. My favorite was chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. It was in this fellowship hall, that I fell in love with comfort food and God’s children.

What Thanksgiving recipes on your table this year could tell a family story? Who can be honored and remembered this year by telling their story? How have these people helped shape your faith in Jesus? Be brave and share these precious stories this Thanksgiving. 

Let’s thank God today for family members who have enriched our lives with generous love and great memories. Let’s give God praise for Thanksgiving traditions that keep family love truly alive. Let’s be apart of passing down faith in Jesus to the next generation.  



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!