Friday, November 24, 2017

Black Friday Fighting

3 o'clock wake up call
Do not have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels… instead be kind to everyone. – 2 Timothy 2:23-24

Ok, be honest, what time did you get up to go shopping today on “Black Friday”?

My daughters have big plans to hit the sales; first Target, then Barnes & Noble, then the Mall… all day long.  Maybe you think this is a great plan of action.  Or maybe, like me, you’d rather stay home and avoid the chaos.

I’m still a little traumatized by my recent visit to Whole Foods, two days before Thanksgiving.  When I pulled into the parking lot, it was filled with police officers, on foot and sitting in their cars.  They were also walking back and forth in front of the store. My first thought was “world’s biggest tofu heist.”  

I didn’t want to disturb the busy officers so once inside the grocery, I asked an employee what was happening.  He shook his head and said, “Nothing yet. The police are here because they don’t want people fighting over parking spots.”

No joke!  I burst out laughing.  You have got to be kidding me.  The Whole Foods had employed a fleet of police officers to manage Thanksgiving anger.  What has this world come to?

At first, I thought it was a bit of overkill, until I went to the back of the store to pick out a turkey.  There, I discovered a long line of unhappy people waiting to get their individualized Thanksgiving orders.  

One woman was arguing with a sales clerk.  She claimed her order was WRONG! Another man, arms crossed over his puffed out chest, was losing his patience by the second. The police probably should have been inside as well because he looked like a ticking time bomb.  I escaped the crowd as quickly as I could.  It wasn’t until I got to the parking lot that I realized I’d fled without my turkey.  

God’s word is timeless.  Thousands of years ago, Paul shared with Timothy a warning about foolish arguing.  Paul is still right today, quarreling and fighting over such things as parking spots and catering orders is stupid.  (Don’t you love that the Bible uses the word stupid, how appropriate?)

Let’s heed Paul’s warning.  When holiday tensions soar, let’s stay grounded in kindness and humility.  In any heated situation, we can take a deep breath and give thanks to God for our simple blessings: breath in our lungs, a family to feed, friends to shop with, and money to purchase presents.  All these are gifts given to you from God. (James 1:17) 

Let thanksgiving reduce tension and faith replace fighting.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!