Monday, September 25, 2017

Quick to Listen

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. – James 1:19

I am guilty of talking more than I listen.  

When my husband reads this confession, I’m sure he’ll let out a huge AMEN!  I have been interrupting that man for more than thirty years.  (We met in high school)

I recently read somewhere that on average, women speak 20,000 words a day. Men, on the other hand, utter only around 7,000.

That explains why my daughters will tell me about their day in detail, while my son will give me only a sentence or two. It also explains why my husband’s body language will signal “get to the point” when all I am processing out loud. (Sometimes he’ll just say it out loud, but he’s learning better).

Are you an active listener? 
  • Do you lean in and patiently wait for your turn to speak? 
  • Do you make eye contact, face the person, and ignore the distractions around you? 

Or, do you find yourself stealing glances at your phone, thinking about the rest of your day, and interrupting to steer the conversation towards the points you want to make?

Tough questions in our fast paced lives, but so important to think about, because listening grows love relationships. Love relationships are most important to God. The greatest command given to us is to love the Lord your God with all our hearts, minds and souls and to love others. 

Let’s actively show our love this week by listening on purpose, one person and one idea at a time, even if they’re just processing out loud.. 


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!