Monday, September 4, 2017

One Call Away

3 o'clock wake up call
I call to God, and the LORD saves me…I cry out in distress, and He hears my voice. 
– Psalm 55:16-17

Think of how many people in and around Houston have been crying out to God to save their homes, families and lives. As I watch valiant rescue missions on the news, I feel helpless here in Colorado where it’s dry, hot, and far removed from flood waters that have left a wake of devastation. 


Even though I’m not in Houston, my heart aches for the people there whose lives have been severely impacted by the floods. The ache feels familiar, and takes me back to 2013 when my city endured its “Hundred Year Flood.” 

On the fourth night of constant rain, I woke up thinking that maybe it was time to start building an ark. I knew something was drastically wrong because I could hear the raging of a distant creek, one that normally, at its loudest, just gurgled. I remember thinking, “We never go four days without the sun coming up and drying all the land”. Sure enough, huge amounts of mountain runoff swelled creeks and rivers. They surged together to flood roads, buildings and homes. Cars were swept away and lives lost. 

The road I live on looked like a war zone. Entire hillsides had collapsed, washing away roads and leaving mud piles, trees, and boulders in their place. We were stuck with only two evacuation options: hike down the mountain or wait for a helicopter. 

Thankfully, rescue teams worked around the clock to rebuild a single lane of the only access road to the house.  On day three, like a caravan of refugees, we drove out single file. Like most moms who’ve been home bound with a house full of people, my first stop was the grocery store. What I saw along the way caused my mouth gape open with dismay. Lawn after lawn was piled high with the interiors of homes: soaked mattresses and couches, broken furniture, mounds of wet clothes, pillows, blankets and toys. Exactly what Houston looks like today.

Psalm 55 reminds us that when we face desperate times of distress, we are to call to God and He promises to hear our voices. God’s presence is only one call away. So let’s unite our voices and call upon the Lord to heal and help Houston. Let’s share our concerns with the One who cares for all His children.  Let’s thank God for rebuilding Houston and restoring homes, families, and lives real soon. 



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!