Thursday, October 25, 2018

Lies & Labels


When he (your enemy) lies, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar and the father of lies and half-truths. – John 8:44

When I was in middle school, barely a teenager, my dad suggested I go on a diet. He thought it would be a good idea if I weighed my food, reduced my portion size, and exercised more often. I remember looking in the mirror, calling myself fat, then scooping ice cream into a big bowl and sneaking off to eat it alone.

Why I didn’t fall into the deep pit of an eating disorder is beyond me, but what I did fall for was the enemy’s lies. I constantly told myself growing up that I was fat and needed to lose weight. I’d diet for several weeks, lose some pounds, feel good about my size,  then gain it all back, only to feel worse about myself. 

I tied my worth to my weight.

I realize now that Satan had a field day with my dad’s suggestion of a diet. He filled my mind with a repeating phrase, “You’ll never be skinny. You’ll always be fat.”

I still wrestle with my weight but the words in my mind are different today. I know exercise is good for me because it helps me stay strong and reduces my stress. Eating healthy is good for me because good food fuels my body so I can do the things God has called me to do. Following Jesus and trusting Him changed the voices inside my head and I am not labeling myself with lies anymore.

Ask yourself these questions:
  • What lies have I believed about myself?
  • Have lies labeled me?
  • Have I become the labels lies put on me?
When lies label us and we become those labels, the father of lies needs to be kicked out of our lives. But how?

First, you have to identify the lies. When a thought about yourself pops into your mind, ask yourself… Is that God’s truth or is that the enemy’s trash talk?

For example God says you are His chosen, beloved daughter (Colossians 3:12). If you hear, “You are too far gone to be loved by God,” it’s the enemy’s trash talk.

Here are some more Truth vs. Trash Talk.

I am saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8) TRUTH!
Your faith is so weak. You don’t deserve grace girl. TRASH!

I am God’s masterpiece, created to do good works (Ephesians 2:10). TRUTH!
You are a complete mess. God could never use someone as pathetic as you. TRASH!

Give it a try. Ask yourself, “Would God really say that about me?” If not, throw it out of your mind and replace it with who God says you are.

I call this the ABC’s of me. See if you can finish the whole alphabet with God’s truths about you.

You are adopted, beloved, chosen, daughter of the King, eternal, forgiven…

When we know who our father in Heaven says we are, the father of lies loses his grip on us. When we’re confident in Christ and stand in our truth, the enemy can’t drag us down or label us with his lies.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!