Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A Week Away


O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! Do not delay, for Your own sake, O my God, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name. – Daniel 9:19

Daniel prayed this prayer when he knew God’s people were undeserving of His loving mercy. Daniel pleaded with God on their behalf, believing His goodness could deliver them even during tumultuous times. 

A week from today, Election Day, ballots will be counted and winners announced. Some of us will be pleased with the victories, while others of us will shake our heads and wonder what is happening in America. We live deeply divided, with social media as a weapon for anger, criticism, and hate. 

If Jesus tweeted, I think He’d say something like, “I’ve called you to multiply not divide.” It’s true, Jesus simplified all of God’s commands down to one word – LOVE. Jesus declares, “love one another as I have loved you.” (John 13:34)

In the days leading up to this election, have you been proud of our nation? Are you confident in the direction we’re headed? Or like me, are you embarrassed and praying desperately for restoration and healing?

I find it ironic that this week I finally get to see the Broadway Musical, Hamilton. My teenage daughter has been pleading to go to the theatre for two years. She knows all 46 songs by heart. I’m sure she’ll belt them out on Thursday night. 

Hamilton, takes place in New York City when our founding fathers were writing the Declaration of Independence, creating a national bank, and establishing the code of conduct for our Congress. The songs depict brave men fighting for freedom, loving our land of opportunity, and establishing a legacy that would certainly outlive their lives.

Recently while driving home with my daughter singing Hamilton lyrics, she stopped all of a sudden, turned to me and asked, “Mom, are you crying?”  

I guess I was. My heart moved by the music, I desperately longed for that nation in the musical to rise again. The America they sang about knew who they were, what they were willing to fight for, where they stood with God. I silently prayed “O Lord, who are we now? What happened to being One Nation under God? Please forgive us and restore our unity once again. Shine your bright light in this dark land. Only You God can replace hate with love.”

After praying, I was sweetly reminded that no matter who wins seats on Election Day, Jesus will still be seated at the right hand of God, who is still in control in America. Thank you God!


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!