Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A Carfull of Love


Our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action. – 1 John 3:18
Hurrying to get home after an exhausting day, I exited the highway and turned down the off ramp. Red light. Next to the road sat an older gentleman in a wheelchair holding up a sign asking for help. 
One car separated me from the man, an old dinged-up Subaru (the official car of Boulder), filled with college kids bouncing to the beat of loud music. 
When the light turned green, the Subaru sat still. Ugh, I was stuck. 
Right when I was about to beep my horn, the driver bounded out of his seat and sprinted over to the man, emptying a handful of change into a plastic bag hanging from the wheelchair. He then rifled through his jeans pockets, found a few crumpled dollar bills and quickly added them to the bag.  
He patted the older gentleman on the shoulder, as if to say “You’ve got this!” then, like a little child on a playground, skipped back to his car. (Yes, he actually skipped). His joy was contagious. I could see his friends high fiving one another in the back seat.
I missed the light, but found hope in the next generation. Their joy moved me to open my car door, walk over to the gentleman and place a handful of granola bars into his bag. I followed the example modeled to me and patted the man on shoulder wishing him a blessed day. As I glanced into the Subaru, I saw several faces smiling back at me.  
They didn’t need a woman their mom’s age telling them, “Great Job!” They already knew their act of kindness had rippling effects. 
God used a young man in a dirty, beat up Subaru to capture my attention and prompt me to have compassion and give to someone in need. I’d forgotten I was in a hurry and been reminded to put God’s love into action.
Our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action. – 1 John 3:18
Who can you reach out to today to show love to? Who needs help in your sphere of influence? It might be a neighbor, a friend, or a complete stranger. Keep your eyes wide open for the opportunities God places in front of you. And when you see one, be brave and act on it right away. 


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!