Friday, February 2, 2018

Perfect Parent


Those who know Your name (who have experienced Your precious mercy) will put their confident trust in You, for You, LORD, have not abandoned those who seek You. – Psalm 9:10 (AMP)

Have you ever royally messed up a relationship?  Can you think of a time when, even unintentionally, your words or actions hurt someone’s feelings or sabotaged their day?  Once you realize how long it’s going to take to rebuild trust, the uphill climb can feel overwhelming.  

When my oldest daughter was in the third grade, I went hiking with a friend during the school day.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Not for the great friendship or the beautiful weather, but instead for the gut-wrenching feeling I got when I realized, too late, that I had missed her scheduled parent-teacher conference.  While I had been enjoying a “Colorado blue day” in the mountains, my daughter had been sitting alone outside the principal’s office in tears, wondering why her mother had forgotten her. 

My daughter, now eighteen, enjoys reminding me every once and a while of when I “abandoned” her at school.  The thought of her sitting alone waiting for me, questions forming and disappointment mounting, still makes me cringe and question my heart as a mother, almost as intensely as I did all those years ago.

How could I have been so absentminded and not looked at my calendar?  Why was I so selfish, hiking instead of being where I was supposed to be?  The ridicule rioting in my mind built up to the point where, finally, I sat down with my daughter and apologized from the bottom of my heart.  Simple words, “I’m so sorry,” spoken in love and truth, began to restore our relationship.

Aren’t you thankful that God never abandons us?    

God said “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” – Hebrews 13:5

God keeps His promises.  He is with us and for us… always.  We may not recognize His mercy in every moment, or hear His voice every day, but once we believe in His word and walk in His truths, our confidence grows and our trust increases.  We begin to rely on His promise and count on His presence. 

Once you’ve accepted God as your Heavenly Father, then you know His name and He calls you by yours.  God woos you in specials ways, unique to your heart and mind.  God might play a specific song on the radio, right when you need to hear those lyrics, or He might cause you to open your Bible to a particular passage and remind you that you are not alone in this crisis. Or, God might use someone close to you to speak the words He desires your heart to hear.

One thing is for certain, your Heavenly Father will never abandon you.  He’s the only perfect parent in the world, just ask my daughter.   


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!