Monday, February 5, 2018

A Servant's Heart


3 o'clock wake up call
For even the Son of Man (Jesus) did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. – Mark 10:45

Living in the mountains of Colorado has some incredible benefits: challenging hiking trails, cooler summer temperatures, colorful sunsets and continuous wildlife sightings. Mountain living also has its drawbacks: gas tanks empty quickly, icy roads demand expensive tires, and scheduling conflicts often strand me in town for hours.

Today, while stuck in town, I ventured into Barnes & Noble seeking a quiet spot to think and write. I spent the first thirty minutes hiding behind a computer screen, taking notes and wiping tears from my eyes. 

Tucked in the back of the bookstore, sitting within earshot of me, a technology class is in session. Three adult men are perplexed. One man struggles to discover what button to push next. Another expresses frustration because what he’s expecting isn’t happening. The last man erupts in laughter when he finally finds success.

I too burst out laughing. They all look over at me. I blush, giggle and say, “Your laughter is so contagious. You have such a beautiful smile.” Now he’s blushing as the teacher nudges his elbow reminding him to thank me. 

They get back to work. I hear the teacher kindly encouraging each man by name to press on through their frustration. I can’t help but notice his gentleness and patience. He reminds me a little bit of Jesus. 

When we’re perplexed and struggle to know what’s next, Jesus promises to be our good shepherd and guide us. When our frustrations rise, Jesus reminds us to bring our burdens to Him, for He promises to give us rest. And when we finally succeed, Jesus is right there celebrating with us. 

When the teacher let the class know they’d be leaving in two minutes, the men handed over their tablet computers, tucked their personal items in backpacks, and pushed their wheelchairs toward the front of the bookstore, where a van waited to take them back to the center that serves adults with disabilities. 

Right before the men departed our area, they turned back to me and joyfully waved good-bye. I caught the teacher’s eye, smiled and said, “You are a great teacher! Keep up the incredible work.” He blushed, laughed a little, and lowered his head. I could tell that his servant’s heart often goes unnoticed. 

We are told to have the same attitude of Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:5). How can you choose an attitude of gentleness, kindness or love today? Who will greatly benefit from your servant’s heart?

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!