Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Waking Up Worried?

3 o'Clock wake up call
Cast all your cares (anxieties) on Him because He cares for you. – 1 Peter 5:7

When my kids were babies, I thought that when they finally slept through the night, I would too.  That was pretty much true, until they became teenagers.  I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve woken up in the middle of the night wondering “Is she home yet?  Is he safe?  Why are all the lights still on?  Did he lock the door?  What was that noise?”

Does your imagination run wild in the middle of the night?  I find that small issues blossom into huge problems.  My “To Do” list multiplies, and worries tangle together into a spiral of anxiety that sometimes keeps me awake for hours. 

Over the years, I’ve developed a strategy that gets me back to sleep… most of the time.  I cast my cares on God, thanking Him for the people I love and the blessings in my life.  In order to stay on track, I thank Him alphabetically, from A to Z.  Since my kids’ names all start with the letters A and E, I always get to them before I fall back asleep. 

Try it the next time you wake up worried.  Thanksgiving has the amazing ability to overwhelm worry.  I’d be surprised if you made it all the way to Z.

Recently, I’ve been praying for our 19 year-old son more than usual, because he just moved out of our home and in with some friends.  It’s appropriate timing, but I don’t feel adequately prepared.  His cat has been crying at night missing him so much.  Her emotions seem to be contagious, especially at 3am.

I miss seeing my son at the breakfast table each morning, hearing about his soccer games and internship.  I miss buying his favorite foods at the grocery store. I even miss his stinky socks.   

I was sharing my heavy heart and tears with God, when I felt His loving presence encouraging me.  He spoke softly into my soul, “I know you’re sad.  It’s going to get easier.  Every time you miss him, ask Me to bless him.”  I giggled out loud.  Wow, this kid is going to be blown away with blessings!

This is what God wants us to do every day.  When overwhelming emotions of worry, anxiety, or sadness well up inside of us, we’re to share them and give them to God.  Why?  Because His word says He cares (1 Peter 5:7).  It hit me that God cares about my son even more than I do.  He made him, unconditionally loves him, and has amazing plans for him.   Thank you God!

Who or what causes you to wake up worried?  Every time you start to feel anxious or worried, view it as a Wake Up Call from God, reminding you to share your feelings and thoughts with Him.  Imagine that when you hand your concerns over to God, He leans close and whispers, “Trust me.”  

If there’s one lesson I’ve learned from God after raising my son for nineteen years, it’s TRUST.  I had to trust God when he struggled in school, when his appendix was removed, when he rebelled against our house rules, when he crashed the truck, when I couldn’t find him, when he chose a different path than college.  I guess it’s time again to trust God with his housing and this next big step away from me.  

Who do you love and need to place in God’s hands?   What worries are tangling up in your heart?  Give each one to God and trust His faithful love and good plans.

Claim these promises as you cast your cares upon the Lord.

Thank you God that you have good plans for _________.  Plans to prosper him/her and not to harm.  Plans to give hope and a future. – Jeremiah 29:11

Help __________ to be strong and courageous.  Thank you God that You go with ____________.  You will never leave him/her. – Deuteronomy 31:6



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!