Friday, August 4, 2017

"Pissed Off"

3 o'clock wake up call
Thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. 
– 2 Corinthians 2:14

Rarely do my husband and I travel without our teens.  But this week, they were on trips or working, so the two of us ran away from home to Crested Butte, Colorado.  I couldn’t wait to walk around town, hand and hand, leisurely searching for a romantic restaurant. Giggling and giddy, like a teenager myself, I grabbed my jacket as we headed out the door, just in case the temperature dropped.

At the front desk of the hotel to ask for directions, I noticed a foul smell.  I chalked it up to the two dogs nearby.  While riding a crowded bus into town, I smelled it again.  This time, I was sure it was wafting off a group of young men who looked like they’d been hiking or working all day.  Stepping off the bus, I felt a chill in the air, so I hugged my jacket close to warm up.  At that exact moment the familiar foul smell hit my nose again, and I realized two things, a) that it was cat urine, and b) it was coming from me. I was wearing a cat-pee coat out on our romantic date.

If anyone’s ever called you a “crazy cat lady,” let me know, because I have a new cat for your collection.  Her name is Dash, and she gets “pissed” when our suitcases come out and she knows we’re leaving town.  She must have climbed up on my open bag and peed on my coat right before we left.  

Isn’t it amazing how a smell can bring you back in time?  One whiff of homemade pancakes and you’re back in grandma’s kitchen.  Burned toast carries you back to college, or new asphalt reminds you of the summer you learned how to dive off the high dive.  

Recognizing how powerfully our sense of smell influences how we experience the world around us, God calls us to spread the wonderful fragrance of the knowledge of Him wherever we go (2 Corinthians 2:14). Yes, you are a sweet smelling fragrance of Jesus.  How you share your faith with others spreads wisdom and understanding of God with everyone in your path.

  • Does your joyful smile share hope in God even in the midst of trails?
  • Do your kind words encourage others to believe God is with them and for them?
  • Does your daily walk show trust in the Lord even when the path becomes dim?

Every day we have many opportunities to be a beautiful fragrance in the lives of those we met.  Instead of spreading a foul and toxic attitude around your circle of influence, choose to clothe yourself like Christ and be the sweet, lovely fragrance you are meant to be.

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 
(Colossians 3:12)


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!