Friday, August 18, 2017

See Through

3 o'clock wake up call
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. – James 4:10

Boulder, Colorado is known for being an outdoorsy town.  It’s common to see hikers, bikers, and runners while I’m driving around. But every once in a while, I’ll see something so strange that I’m left in stunned silence, with mouth agape. 

Like the woman in her eighties, hair full of pink foam curlers, pedaling a purple bike with a green basket full of groceries.  All I could think was, “Wow, that’s multi-tasking at its finest: grocery shopping, exercising, and getting your hair done.  Go Grandma go!”  Then, just today, I saw a college-aged woman running in what looked like a bathing suit right out of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.  The tiny black bottom and bright teal bra matched her spikey blue hair perfectly as she proudly sauntered along.  I really didn’t know what to think about that one.  

Times like these, when I have to do a “double take” to make sure what I’m seeing is really there, I’m stopped just short of passing judgment by a memory of having once been in their shoes.

It was the night of the last youth drama before Christmas.  The cast of five high school students was to perform in front of nearly a hundred elementary school kids and their adult leaders.  I was the director, aka Drama Mama.  It was three minutes before showtime, and the angel of the Lord still hadn’t shown up.  I checked my phone, no message.  I called, no answer.  So with no other option, I ducked into a closet to quickly change into the Angel of the Lord’s white gown.

My entrance was grand.  I flew to center stage and spoke my lines with enthusiasm and boldness.  “I bring you good news of great joy!  The Messiah has been born in Bethlehem…”  It seemed as if every eye was fixed on me.  I must be mesmerizing, I thought to myself. 

The drama ended to clapping and cheers.  What a fabulous night!  

As the crowd of kids exited the room and the high school students high fived each other, one of the adult leaders subtly motioned for me to come her way.  Imagining what was sure to be exuberant praise, I leaned in as she whispered, “Laura, that was a great drama, but the next time you’re up there in that thin Angel of the Lord gown, you might want to wear a slip instead of that bright pink underwear.”

Aren’t you thankful God doesn’t laugh at us?

Whatever embarrassing things we do, God’s mouth never gapes open in surprise.  He’s not shocked at our foolishness.  He sees all we do and say and still calls us His beloved child.  God can even use our huge mess ups to humble us into His hands.  There we can laugh and learn together.    

God gave us Jesus as the greatest example of humility.  He wants us to have the same attitude as Jesus. 

Jesus… Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God 
something to be used to his own advantage; rather, He made himself 
nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!  Therefore, God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. – Philippians 2:6-11


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!