Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Greatest Gift

3 o'clock wake up call
The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 6:23

Would you rather give a gift or receive one?  I’ll be honest, I’m not very good at either one.  

My son just graduated from an intense academic program last week.  We’re celebrating tonight and the only thing I can think of giving him is a Conoco Gas Card for his car, which is kind of boring.

I usually don’t receive gifts with much enthusiasm either.  I’ve never counted down the days until presents would arrive.  My daughter, on the other hand, has her “wish list” of gifts ready to go months ahead of her birthday and Christmas.  She gets so excited knowing that with each passing day, she’s one day closer to opening her presents. 

As I continued to think about what would be the best gift for my son, my heart swelled with what I really wish I could give him.  These gifts are not tangible but they are life changing and eternal.  How I wish I could give my son a … 

  • Steadfast faith in God that never waivers.
  • Strong desire to follow Jesus all the days of his life. 
  • Secure confidence and trust in God’s good plans for him. 

But I can’t give my son, or anyone else, these priceless gifts.  Only God can.  

Jesus is truly God’s greatest gift to each one of us.  “God so loved the world that He GAVE His one and only son” (John 3:16).  The lavish gift of Jesus is really three gifts wrapped up in one.

God gave Jesus to us, for us, and in us.  

  • God gave Jesus to us by sending Him to the earth.  Jesus is an example of God in a body, flesh put on so we’d see Him more clearly, know Him intimately, and love Him deeply. 

  • God gave Jesus for us because everyone is separated from God by our sin and imperfections.  Instead of the death we deserve, Jesus died for us so we could live free, now and forever.

  • God placed Jesus in us through His Holy Spirit.  With His Spirit, we hear His voice, understand His guidance, and pursue His purposes.  

What an amazing gift that continues to transform, shape, and move us more into Jesus’ likeness.  Jesus is a gift I can shout for joy about, enjoy every day, and share with others.  Gift giving is not so bad if I remember who, not what, is the greatest gift ever given.

Who can you share God’s greatest gift ever given to you with today?  Step out in steadfast faith, follow Jesus’ lead, and fully trust the Giver of all goodness in your life.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!