Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Simple Shift

3 o'clock wake up call
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. – John 15:15

What do your prayers sound like?  Are they filled with flowing religious words or do you talk to Jesus like you’re chatting with a best friend?  Do you ask Jesus to just fix things, or do you invite Him into your day and listen to His loving guidance?

Recently, I was asking myself those questions.  After taking an inventory of my past few weeks of prayer, I came to the conclusion that most of my prayers were requests. I needed God to DO something for me, so I asked Him to:

  • Please heal her from cancer.
  • Show up in their marriage.
  • Help me write.
  • Keep her safe.

Then it hit me, I’m that needy friend who always asks and takes, but rarely listens or gives.

Haven’t you been in that relationships before?  She calls when crisis hits and needs you to drop everything and rush to her side.  You happily give your time and emotional energy.  But when you’re in need of a close friend to walk with you, she’s too busy to return your text.  

I certainly don’t want a one-way friendship like that with Jesus.  I want to be close and deeply connected to His heart.  So I decided to shake up my prayers.  They sound more like this now:

  • Jesus, come close.  I want to know you more.
  • Thank you for waking me up to how awesome you are.
  • I love you.  Thank you for loving me.
  • Lead me into the plans you have for me.
  • Let me be your hands and feet and love others you want me to.

A simple change in my conversation with Jesus has shifted our relationship from ME focused to WE focused.  Our friendship is going deeper and I’m enjoying our talks immensely.

Try making this relationship shift in your prayer life, too.  Talk with Jesus as a friend and you’ll soon find that you are walking through everyday life with Him right beside you.  It’s a wonderful place to be!



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!