Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Keep it Simple

3 o'clock wake up call
Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” – John 10:14

Do you ever get accused of complicating things?  When was the last time someone told you to “keep it simple!”  To me, those words often sound more like criticism than advice.  

When I walk in the door at 7:45pm after a long day and my husband sees me pulling out pots and pans to start dinner, I often hear “Laura, let’s just keep it simple.” I really want to make a big pot of pasta with roasted vegetables, grilled chicken in a pesto cream sauce, but we both know that if I do, we won’t be eating until 9:15pm.  So instead, we pull out the leftovers (again)…keeping it simple.

We can also over-complicate our faith in Jesus.  By incorrectly believing that we need to spend forty minutes a day studying, memorizing the Psalms, contemplating the Trinity, and praying scripture, we forget that all Jesus really says is, “Come and follow me” (Matthew 4:19).

If we see Jesus as our good shepherd, this relationship simplifies our faith in Him. Think for a moment, what do sheep really need?

Sheep need to know their shepherd’s voice.  We get to know Jesus’ voice by inviting Him into our busy days.  Before your feet hit the ground in the morning, you can simply say, “Jesus lead me through this day. I will follow you.”  Then you can walk and talk with Him all day long.  When your 3pm alarm sounds, thank Jesus for being right there with you.  Spending every day life together is a simple and sure way of staying close to your good shepherd.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. – John 10:27

Sheep need daily protection.  The enemy sets up many distractions, detours, and dead ends trying to move you off God’s good path.  But if you stick close with your good shepherd and ask for His help, He will fend off the enemy and guide your steps around the traps.  
The LORD is my shepherd, He guides me along the right paths. – Psalm 23:3 

Lastly, sheep need food and rest.  The good shepherd knows what depletes you and what fills you up.  He leads you to be still in His presence and reminds you that He is your faithful provider.  Your soul is nurtured by remembering God’s good and His grace. 
The LORD is my shepherd, He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. – Psalm 23:2-3

The next time you’re tempted to complicate your faith in Jesus, just remember “keep it simple.”  Jesus is your good shepherd, simply follow Him.




The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!