Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Fiery Darts

3 o'clock wake up call
Praise the LORD… He is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to God in song. 
– Psalm 29:6-7

I have already told God that I would like to sing in the most magnificent choir when I arrive in heaven.  Here on earth, the best place for me to sing praise and worship songs to the LORD is in my car, alone, with the windows rolled up.

I may not have the gift of singing, or honestly any musical talents at all, but I do have the “Gift of Gab.”  I love talking!  Anywhere, anytime, with anyone, talking is how I come alive. For me, sharing stories is super exhilarating.  Processing out loud lifts my mood sky high, and stepping out on a big stage to talk about the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call is one of my highest hopes and dreams.

I know many of you would rather stick a pencil in your eyeball than speak in public.  Not me, I can’t wait for God to open the door to the Pepsi Center or Mile High Stadium.  Then I’ll tell everyone how a simple 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call can remind them to give God thanks every day, and that this daily thanks has the power to transform their lives and change our world!  

That is one reason why I listen to sermons and talks from some of today’s greatest faith leaders every day. While running, cleaning, cooking, or doing the laundry, I’m learning from the best.

Erwin McManus has taught me to share my faith stories boldly by always pointing to Jesus as the One who is mighty to save. Rick Warren has been a father of the faith to me, concisely coupling God’s truths to real-life applications.  And Brian Houston consistently testifies that God’s timing is perfect, His plan is trustworthy, and laughing at ourselves keeps us humble.

This week while studying how “God is our Shield,” I was reminded of a sermon Brian Houston shared a while ago when he was teaching Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia to put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6). He shared exactly how his father, also a pastor, had preached this text with boldness and conviction many years before.

Imagine with me…Brian’s father was on a roll, preaching about each amazing piece of God’s armor.  He made sure they securely placed the helmet of salvation on their heads to protect their minds from lies.  That they buckled the belt of God’s truths tightly around their waists. 

He enthusiastically continued describing each piece of armor in detail, spurring on his congregation to get dressed for battle every morning. Everyone was transfixed when he finally picked up the Shield of Faith.  However, instead of instructing them to lift the Shield of Faith to defend against the Devil’s Fiery Darts, he urged them, instead to boldly raise their Shields of Faith to fight off the Devil’s Diery Farts.  

Hopefully, like me, that story will never let you forget that the Shield of Faith is the protective weapon we need to lift up daily to fight the good fight of faith.  The enemy is constantly sending fiery darts in your direction, so get dressed today with the full “Armor of God,” and be ready for battle.

Helmet of Salvation – Protect your mind from lies.  You are saved by grace.

Belt of Truth – Know God’s truths.  Live by His truths.

Breastplate of Righteousness – Protect your heart.  Know who you are to God.

Footgear of Peace – Walk in Peace with God and others.  Choose peace every day.

Shield of Faith – Defend yourself against attacks, insults, and setbacks.

Sword of the Spirit – God’s Word is your only offensive weapon.  Know it, believe it, speak it.  There is power in the name of Jesus to bring you victory in every battle.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!