Monday, February 27, 2017

Decide to Abide

3 o'clock wake up call
Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” – John 15:5

How many times have you stood in judgement of others, only to later find yourself walking down that very same path?

I once told another mother that I thought she was absolutely crazy to allow her two kids to attend two different high schools in our hometown.  Years later, wouldn’t you know it, she was the parent volunteer showing me around our son’s new school after we transferred him out of the one he had attended with his sister across town.

Eating dinner at a friend’s house, with country music playing loud and proud in the background, I told my husband that I hated country music.  It wasn’t long, though, before country music became the soundtrack of our own family gatherings. 

Today while driving, listening to country music of course, Tim McGraw sang “Always Be Humble and Kind.”  Thinking about what it would actually take to always be humble and kind, my mind flashed to the Holy Spirit.  I shook my head back and forth and said out loud, “Without you God, there is NO WAY I can be humble, kind, loving, joyful…or anything good.”

I was reminded of Jesus’ teaching about God being our gardener, He is the vine, and we are the branches.  If we remain, abide, and stay close to Him, then we will bear the fruit Paul talks about in Galatians 5:22-23.  

The fruit God hopes to produce in your life is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Wow!  That’s a powerful list of life-giving fruits.  Raise your hand if you want more of those in your life.  Me too!

Our first step to living a fruitful life is to make a daily decision to walk close to Jesus.  How we do that will be unique, because God wired each one of us differently, but the first step is the same: Decide to abide.

What if… 

  • You started each day by remembering that your relationship with Jesus is the most important one in your life. 

  • You began a conversation with Jesus before talking with anyone else in your house.

  • You continued talking, sharing, and discussing the events of the day with Jesus asking Him for guidance, help, reassurance, and confidence throughout the day.

By the time 3 o’clock in the afternoon rolls around, giving Jesus thanks will seem completely natural.  You will be able to see how your closeness with His “True Vine” is producing lasting fruit in and around you.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!