Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Making Room

3 o'clock wake up call
Mary gave birth to her firstborn, a son.  She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the Inn. – Luke 2:7

Everywhere we look these days, there are signs of Christmas.  Yesterday, a referee at my daughter’s indoor soccer game wore a Santa hat, Costco played Christmas music overhead, and an Uber car passed me on the highway with Christmas lights strung up throughout the backseat.  My town, listed as one of the least religious towns in the nation, even has a huge star lit up on a mountainside. Every night between Thanksgiving and Christmas, cars line the narrow road because hiking up to the “Star” is a yearly tradition for many families and friends.

With all these colorful and exciting signs of Christmas, I find it amazing that the words, “Happy Holidays” have all but replaced “Merry Christmas!” Have you noticed that too?

I thought I’d test my holiday hunch with an experiment.  Everywhere I went, I either greeted or said good-bye to everyone I met by wishing them a “Merry Christmas!”  These are some of the responses I received back.

  • “Yah, you too.” (eyes focused on the ground – restaurant employee)
  • “Ok.” (uncomfortable look on his face - soccer dad)
  • “Happy Holidays to you too!” (gas station worker)
  • “I don’t feel very merry right now.” (parent of a teammate)
  • “I’ll be happy when the season is over.” (Costco clerk)
  • “Merry Christmas to you too!” (pizza delivery driver – the only “Merry Christmas I got back)

My Christmas experiment reminded me of last Sunday.  I sat on the floor with a circle of elementary school boys at church and asked them why they celebrated Christmas in their homes.  The most popular responses were to open the presents that were piling up, to see the grandparents and cousins were coming over, and that “it’s super fun to stay up late over break.”  It wasn’t until I prompted them by asking, “Whose birthday are we celebrating at Christmas?” that they mentioned Jesus. 

For the past few days, my heart has ached a little because it seems as if Jesus is an afterthought of Christmas for so many people today.

My mind flashed to the innkeeper in Bethlehem who didn’t have room for Mary, Joseph, or baby Jesus.  He placed them out back in a stable.  That smelly, dirty, lowly stable was the birth place of our King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  Jesus was overlooked from the beginning and He still is today.

Just imagine if the Innkeeper had made room for Jesus.  He would have gotten to know Mary and Joseph intimately and could have held the newborn Savior.  He would have witnessed the shepherds’ stories of angels proclaiming the birth of our long awaited Messiah firsthand.  Instead, the Innkeeper made no room and missed out on the greatest event in Bethlehem’s history.  

Can you relate to the Innkeeper?  Is your mind and calendar filled with busyness and hustle bustle while Jesus is simply an afterthought, pushed back, or forgotten?

It’s not too late to make room for Jesus.  He longs to be in the center of your life.  Jesus desires to be on your mind when you first wake up in the morning, to walk with you hand in hand throughout your day, and be close to you as you prepare for Christmas. His love, peace, and joy is available all day and night long. 

Will you make room for Jesus in your heart and mind this year?  Will you set aside time to read His birth story and pray in thanksgiving?  When you do, your relationship with Jesus will be enriched and you will create treasured memories of Christmas 2016.  



The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!


Thank You for Being a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!