Monday, August 27, 2018

Ten Finger Strength


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. – Ephesians 3:20-21

In my dream vacation, every day would be filled with relaxation and fun exploration. My husband, Dan would agree. The only problem is that we define these things differently. 

Relaxation for me means laying on the beach, drifting in and out of sleep while the
waves wash up on shore. Dan gets restless after ten minutes of this, and I'll wake up to find him either surfing or swimming laps in the ocean. My agenda for “fun exploration” is snorkeling with colorful fish, stand up paddle boarding, or leisurely biking to lunch. Dan is happy to join me, but I can tell that he's itching to go a little faster or farther. 

Last summer I let Dan plan our vacation. Big mistake. He chose mountain biking... and not just leisurely rides to lunch. I found myself on trails far beyond my strength and ability. Through it all, though, he encouraged me, saying that I was stronger and braver than I perceived myself to be, and that I could keep going when every muscle in my body was screaming to STOP.

God does the very same thing with us. He promises that His power alive and active in
us can do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine. It’s through His strength that we
can do all things (Philippians 4:13).

While gripping tight to the bike’s handlebars, I was reminded of the" ten finger
promise" I have taught so many children to say over the years. (I smiled in being reminded that all God’s children, no matter their age, need to be reminded of this truth at times.) 

Here's how it works: As you say the following sentence, count each word off with a different finger. 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

High Ten you did it!

Remember that the next time you’re pushed beyond your limits, way out of your comfort zone. Throw your hands up and give God a High Ten. Stop striving in your own strength, and tap into a power that never gets exhausted or quits.

The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World
Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!