Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Back to School Prayer


And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. – Philippians 1:9-11

This is the time of year for joyous new beginnings and tough good-byes.  Stores like Target and Walmart are packed with students and parents shopping for school supplies, teachers are cleaning, labelling, and organizing, while parents of first-year college students are bracing themselves for a roller coaster ride of emotions. 

I thought the first day of kindergarten was tough.  When I dropped my little five year olds off, I wondered if they’d remember to say, “please” and “thank you.”  I hoped they’d make friends with nice kids, and I prayed they’d like learning and their teacher.  

Now with three teenagers, my prayers are quite a bit different.  Instead of praying for their manners, I pray for their morals.  Instead of praying for fun friends, I pray for protection from the bad influences.  Instead of praying just for their learning, I cry out to God to speed up their adolescent brain development, so they choose wisely what is healthy and holy.  

When I stumbled upon Philippians 1:9-11, it struck a chord of agreement in my heart for my kids.  I’ve made it my back-to-school prayer. Think of a student you know; a child, grandchild, neighbor, or friend.  Prayer is such a powerful act of love we can offer God.  Please join me.  Insert your student everywhere you see (name).  

Heavenly Father,

It is my prayer that this student, (name) grow in love and faith this school year.  
Give (name) a heart overflowing with love for You and others.  
Increase Your presence and power in (name).   
Help him/her know what is excellent and true, pure and blameless.  
Protect him/her from danger, bad influences, and evil schemes.  
Fill (name) with godly wisdom, knowledge, and discernment to know right from wrong. Thank You that through faith in Jesus (name) is made right in Your sight.  
If he/she hasn’t been saved, Lord I trust you to do this because You are mighty to save. Help (name) stand under temptation, stand firm in the faith and flourish this school year. 
I know you have great plans for (name). 
Thank you for your guidance, love, and goodness.
I trust you God.

In Jesus’ Powerful Name I Pray, 
Amen

Prayer is our powerful weapon.  Prayer can never be completely taken out of our schools because God designed us to be spirit-filled.  Teachers and parents can pray in and around the buildings.  Students can be in constant communication with God; on the bus, in the lunch line, in Social Studies class.  

So let’s encourage the students we know to talk to God throughout their day.  I know several students who are a part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call.  Their alarms or push notifications remind them to look up to God, give Him thanks, and live out their faith in Jesus.  It’s a quick self-check – Am I on track with my faith right now? 

Let’s be on the offense, and pray every day for the youth in our country.  Remember that in the end, we’re on the winning team.  But in the meantime, let’s: 

Pray in the Spirit on all occasions
with all kinds of prayers and requests. – Ephesians 6:18


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!