Thursday, August 2, 2018

One Step Up and Two Steps Back


He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it. – Philippians 1:6

Have you ever been in a “one step forward, two steps back” mode?

Last summer, I set out to learn how to mountain bike.  I was actually making great progress, getting fitter and more confident on the trails.  I had almost mastered a safe dismount… almost!  That progress came to a screeching halt when I “turtled” on a trail in Crested Butte.

You might not know what “turtle” means.  I certainly didn’t, until my husband explained it to me as I lay crumpled on the ground under my bike.  I had been riding down the mountain and knew I needed to stop before a sharp turn.  As I tried to unclip my biking shoe from the pedal, it wouldn’t budge.  In the fraction of a second I had left to remain upright, I frantically twisted it this way and that.  But I stayed stuck, and gravity took over.  I hit the turn, the wheels went out from under me, and I landed on my back (with my feet still in the pedals).  Imagine the ugliest turtle possible. I’m sure it looks a lot cuter than I did at the time.

After the crash, I didn’t go near the bike.  Every day I lost ground on my goal and grew more out of shape.  

How often do we feel exactly like this in our faith?

We take two steps forward and read God’s Word faithfully for a week.  Then we become so busy, we hit the ground running in the morning and forget for a month to crack open our Bible.  Or we pray to God and commit to cut all gossip out of our conversations.  Then we go out to dinner with friends, gossip like there’s no tomorrow, and wake up the next day with a guilt hang-over.

Thankfully, God knows we’re on a journey with Him and not all of our steps are wise, good, or beneficial.  That’s why He promises us, “He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.” (Phil. 1:6)  God did not say YOU began the good work or YOU are faithful to complete it.  Instead He says HE did and HE will.

This promise reminds us of important truths to hold onto while we’re reaching out to know God more in a crazy busy, fast paced culture.  

  • The good work God planned for all people began the moment Jesus died on the cross.  Do you remember what time Jesus breathed His last breath?  Yes, 3pm!  What an incredible reason to say, “Thank You!”
  • The good work in you started the exact moment you believed Jesus was indeed your Savior.  Jesus then placed His Spirit in you. What a gift to be thankful for.
  • The Holy Spirit in you will be faithful no matter how faith-filled you are today or tomorrow.  Thankfully, God’s power through His Spirit never gives up on us.  The Spirit of God continues to help us to become more like Jesus over time. 
  • The work of the Holy Spirit in you is on-going and won’t be complete until you see Jesus face to face.  We can rejoice that in the end, we will be able to look back and see progress.

Yes, He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it!  Let’s trust in God who is faithful.  And let’s give thanks to God whose Spirit is alive and active in us completely all the good works He has planned.  


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!