Tuesday, June 19, 2018

In Pursuit


Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 
– John 17:3

Last Summer, I read A.W. Tozer’s book, The Pursuit of God for the third time.  It was packed full of profound lessons on the value of spending time alone with God. 

A.W. Tozer (1897–1963) was an uneducated man.  His remarkable spiritual intelligence came from spending numerous hours in the Word of God, listening to the Holy Spirit.  Isn’t that wonderful!?  You don’t need a degree in God to know Him, you just need a seeking mind and a desiring heart.

I know all too well that spending time with God in the middle of our busy days can seem like an impossible demand.  From the moment our feet hit the ground in the morning, we rush from place to place checking items off our list.  We eat food on the go, return calls in the car, and text at stop lights.  No wonder we’re exhausted before dinner.  

I had thought it must have been easier for Tozer seventy years ago.  Wasn’t life so much simpler before cell phones and the internet?  Tozer felt differently, describing much of what we see today: busy, distracted people who are stagnant in their faith. 

“Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth.  Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people.  He waits to be wanted.  Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain.” 
(The Pursuit of God, page 17)

As a teacher, I feel compelled to simplify and personalize this quote for us.  I think Tozer is telling each one of us -  When you become “fine” with not growing spiritually, then you miss out on experiencing God’s real presence and power in your everyday life.  God is waiting for you to wake up and know Him more.

The Holy Spirit wants to guide you into a deeper knowledge and intimacy with God your Father and Jesus your Savior.  The Spirit wants to awaken you to God’s desire to be known by you.  The Spirit reminds you of God’s promise; when you seek Him with all your heart, He will be found by you (Jeremiah 29:13).

The first time I read The Pursuit of God was in 2011.  I wanted to know God more, but with three young kids, I didn’t have a lot of time to spend with Him in prayer, reading the Bible.  I did, however, have the habit of my 3 O’Clock Wake Up Call.  So every week, I chose one or two Bible passages that would help me know God more, and loaded them onto my phone.  When my 3pm alarm sounded, these truths about God popped up in the middle of my busy day.  

I didn’t realize it then, but tucking truths about God deep within your heart combats complacency and increases intimacy.  


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!