Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Clear Communication


Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.” – John 14:15-17

I’m not sure how they did it, but our phone company now clearly communicates when a telemarketer is calling my home. Instead of the caller ID labeling an incoming call as being from an “Unknown Caller,” it now reads either “Illegal Scam” or “Probable Fraud.” Our particular answering machine, with a voice like Siri, warns us aloud, “Call from illegal scam.”

How amazing is that? I no longer have to gamble that picking up the phone might obligate me to minutes wasted trying to politely wiggle my way off the call with a salesperson or, less politely, tell the person posing as an IRS agent that everybody already knows about her scam and that, if she wants to put me in jail and seize my house, she can go right ahead. What a relief! Thank you phone company.

Don’t you wish the same was true with people in the real world? How great would it be if, while being told your car needs significant repairs, a cartoon bubble would pop up next to the mechanic that read “I’m really ripping you off by $500.” 

Or, as your teenager is trying to convince you a party is going to be safe, you could read the words above her telling you to “Say no. The parents are at the liquor store right now, shopping for the party.”

I want that kind of truth and warning.

Jesus gave it to us when He promised the Holy Spirit.

“If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.” – John 14:15-17

Jesus asks us to love Him and follow His ways. When we do, He asks God the Father to give us a 24/7 every-day-available “advocate” to guide us in truth. Amazingly, we don’t have to ask over and over again, because once you believe Jesus is your Savior, the Holy Spirit is deposited in you. From then on, you travel together. (Ephesians 1:14) 

Here are several names given to the Holy Spirit throughout the Bible:
  • Spirit of God (Genesis 1:2)
  • Spirit of Wisdom (Isaiah 11:2)
  • The Comforter (John 14:26)
  • A Guide (John 16:13)
  • Your Teacher (1 Corinthians 2:13)
Like the phone company communicating with me not to answer the call, God gave you His Spirit to lead you with power and purpose. Are you listening to the Holy Spirit every day?

If you desire to know the Holy Spirit more deeply and hear His guidance more clearly, start your day with a simple prayer such as: 

Dear God,
Let Your Spirit be my guide today. You are my _________ (insert one of the names of the Holy Spirit). Speak to me Holy Spirit. I’m listening.
In Jesus’ Name I Pray,
Amen

When your 3:00pm alarm sounds, be reminded that the Holy Spirit is alive and active inside you. Tap into it with thanksgiving and call out to God to continue to be your guide. Ask for more awareness of the Holy Spirit’s presence and power. 

Jesus teaches us to, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” – Matthew 7:7 

Jesus’ half-brother, James reminds us, “If anyone lacks wisdom, ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given.” – James 1:5

So what are you waiting for? You have the Spirit of truth in you, so live confidently with great faith believing God can clearly communicate with you today.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World

Thank you for being a part of The 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!