Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Company's Coming


People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart. 
– 1Samuel 16:7

My house is currently filthy.  I had to go back upstairs this morning to put on socks so my bare feet wouldn’t stick to the kitchen floor.  Yuck!

As I walked into the laundry room in search of socks (because who’s got time to put them into drawers), I passed by a pile of miscellaneous Christmas items and thought “for crying out loud Laura, it’s almost Easter and these things are still here.” 

If those red and green decorations could have joined in the ridicule, they would have shouted, “Hey, we’re still here!  When are you going to put us in the Christmas bins where we belong, huh?  When, woman, when?”

I guess it’s time to invite people over. 

A few hours before company arrives, I morph into what my husband calls “psycho cleaning lady.”  I dust every surface, mop every floor, wipe down the counters, neaten the cabinets, and scrub the toilets (do I live in a frat house?)  The smallest bit of dog hair or smudge on a mirror can’t escape my wrath. I’m lost in the pursuit of making my home look as if no one actually lives there.

Don’t judge me. How many times have you thrown piles of clutter into a closet and closed the door?

Aren’t you thankful that our relationship with God is so vastly different?  He sees the clutter, messes, dirt, and dust bunnies, yet still loves us completely and unconditionally.  The cleanliness of our house is not His concern.  He’s only concerned with the condition of our hearts.

If I allow my heart to align more with God’s, I see the condition of my house not as filthy but as blessed.  

  • The dishes pile up high in the kitchen sink because five people eat family meals together in this house.  I’m happy.
  • The laundry room stinks from sweaty soccer socks and workout clothes because we’re all healthy and can run and play.  I’m thankful.
  • The kitchen floor is sticky because I’m spending more time writing than cleaning. I’m joyful. 

Look around your house, where do you see blessings instead of big messes?  Where is there evidence of life and love?  How can you see beyond the clutter and clearly see yourself and others the way God sees you?

When you do, happiness happens, gratitude grows, and joy jumps in your heart.


The Power of Giving God Thanks Will Ignite Your Faith and Change Your World!

Thank You for Being a Part of the 3 O’Clock Wake Up Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Have a comment or a story? Share them here. We love to hear from you!